ONTAP Discussions

The New-NcSnapMirror command in powershell - "Incorrect credential problem"

Northman

I will soon have to give up using Powershell to setup hundreds of SM relationships. I established peer relationships between the two SVMs, and in the GUI I can setup SnapMirror on the destination if I want. But I will have to do it one-by-one. This is why I am trying to do it with Powershell. I am using the New-NCSnapMirror command in order to create the relationship. But it stops due to "Incorrect credenials" on the destination cluster. But as you can see from the attachment, I am already connected to the destination cluster. Why is it saying the credential is wrong? 

Please see my attachment showing the command with -debug turned on.

3 REPLIES 3

NetappUser117

I second this. I get the exact same issue. Perhaps it's a bug in the command itself.

mbeattie

Hey,

I tested the CmdLet. If you have used the Connect-NcController to connect to the destination cluster you don't need to pass the -Controller parameter (as it will use the current connection). EG:

PS C:\Scripts\PowerShell\Projects\ONTAP\CreateSnapMirrorCLI> connect-nccontroller -Name cluster2 -Credential $credential

Name                 Address           Vserver              Version
----                 -------           -------              -------
cluster2             192.168.0.102                          NetApp Release Clawhammer__9.14.1: Tue Mar 19 18:52:51 UTC 2024

PS C:\Scripts\PowerShell\Projects\ONTAP\CreateSnapMirrorCLI> New-NcSnapmirror -DestinationCluster cluster2 -DestinationVserver svm1_cluster2 -DestinationVolume volume_002_dr -SourceCluster cluster1 -SourceVserver svm1_cluster1 -SourceVolume volume_002 -Type DP

SourceLocation                                DestinationLocation                           Status       MirrorState
--------------                                -------------------                           ------       -----------
svm1_cluster1:volume_002                      svm1_cluster2:volume_002_dr                   uninitial... uninitialized

The private REST CLI example might come in useful for tasks that might not have a corresponding PowerShell CmdLet in future. Certainly useful to know about.

Hope that helps

/Matt

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

mbeattie

Hi Guys,

I'm not sure if there's an issue with the CmdLet however you could use the private REST CLI as an alternative. Here is an example for you:

Param(
   [Parameter(Mandatory = $True, HelpMessage = "The destination cluster name or IP Address")]
   [String]$Cluster,
   [Parameter(Mandatory = $True, HelpMessage = "The Source Vserver name")]
   [String]$SourceVserver,
   [Parameter(Mandatory = $True, HelpMessage = "The Source Volume name")]
   [String]$SourceVolume,
   [Parameter(Mandatory = $True, HelpMessage = "The destination Vserver name")]
   [String]$TargetVserver,
   [Parameter(Mandatory = $True, HelpMessage = "The destination Volume name")]
   [String]$TargetVolume,
   [Parameter(Mandatory = $True, HelpMessage = "The Schedule name")]
   [String]$ScheduleName,
   [Parameter(Mandatory = $True, HelpMessage = "The Policy name")]
   [String]$PolicyName,
   [Parameter(Mandatory = $True, HelpMessage = "The Relationship type")]
   [ValidateSet("DP","LS","XDP","TDP")]
   [String]$RelationshipType,
   [Parameter(Mandatory = $True, HelpMessage = "The Credentials to authenticate to the destination cluster")]
   [System.Management.Automation.PSCredential]$Credential
)
#'------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#'Set the certificate policy and TLS version.
#'------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Add-Type @"
   using System.Net;
   using System.Security.Cryptography.X509Certificates;
   public class TrustAllCertsPolicy : ICertificatePolicy {
   public bool CheckValidationResult(
   ServicePoint srvPoint, X509Certificate certificate,
   WebRequest request, int certificateProblem) {
      return true;
   }
}
"@
[System.Net.ServicePointManager]::SecurityProtocol  = [System.Net.SecurityProtocolType]'Tls12'
[System.Net.ServicePointManager]::CertificatePolicy = New-Object TrustAllCertsPolicy
Function Get-NcAuthorization{
   [Alias("Get-NcAuth")]
   [CmdletBinding()]
   Param(
      [Parameter(Mandatory = $True, HelpMessage = "The Credential to authenticate to the cluster")]
      [ValidateNotNullOrEmpty()]
      [System.Management.Automation.PSCredential]$Credential
   )
   #'---------------------------------------------------------------------------
   #'Set the authentication header to connect to the cluster.
   #'---------------------------------------------------------------------------
   $auth    = [System.Convert]::ToBase64String([System.Text.Encoding]::UTF8.GetBytes($Credential.UserName + ':' + $Credential.GetNetworkCredential().Password))
   $headers = @{
      "Authorization" = "Basic $auth"
      "Accept"        = "application/json"
      "Content-Type"  = "application/json"
   }
   Return $headers;
}#'End Function Get-NcAuthorization.
[String]$command = "snapmirror create -source-path '$SourceVserver`:$SourceVolume' -destination-path '$TargetVserver`:$TargetVolume' -schedule $ScheduleName -policy $PolicyName -type $RelationshipType "
$headers = Get-NcAuth -Credential $Credential
$cli = @{};
$cli.Add("source-path", "$SourceVserver`:$SourceVolume")
$cli.Add("destination-path", "$TargetVserver`:$TargetVolume")
$cli.Add("schedule", $ScheduleName)
$cli.Add("policy", $PolicyName)
$cli.Add("type", $RelationshipType)
$body = $cli | ConvertTo-Json
#'Create the SnapMirror relationship and set the schedule.
[String]$uri = "https://$Cluster/api/private/cli/snapmirror"
Write-Host "Executing Command`: $command"
Try{
   $response = Invoke-RestMethod -Method Post -Body $body -Uri $uri -Headers $headers -ErrorAction Stop
}Catch{
   Write-Warning -Message $("Failed Creating SnapMirror relationship between ""$SourceVserver`:$SourceVolume"" and ""$TargetVserver`:$TargetVolume"" on cluster ""$Cluster"". Error " + $_.Exception.Message)
   Break;
}
If($Null -ne $response){
   If($response -Match "Operation succeeded"){
      Write-Host "Created SnapMirror relationship between ""$SourceVserver`:$SourceVolume"" and ""$TargetVserver`:$TargetVolume"" on cluster ""$Cluster"""
   }Else{
      Write-Warning -Message "Failed Creating SnapMirror relationship between ""$SourceVserver`:$SourceVolume"" and ""$TargetVserver`:$TargetVolume"" on cluster ""$Cluster"""
      Break;
   }
}Else{
   Write-Warning -Message "Failed Creating SnapMirror relationship between ""$SourceVserver`:$SourceVolume"" and ""$TargetVserver`:$TargetVolume"" on cluster ""$Cluster"""
   Break;
}

Usage:

PS C:\Scripts\PowerShell\Projects\ONTAP\CreateSnapMirrorCLI> $credential = Get-Credential
PS C:\Scripts\PowerShell\Projects\ONTAP\CreateSnapMirrorCLI> .\CreateSnapMirrorCLI.ps1 -Cluster cluster2 -SourceVserver svm1_cluster1 -SourceVolume volume_001 -TargetVserver svm1_cluster2 -TargetVolume volume_001_dr -ScheduleName daily -PolicyName DPDefault -RelationshipType DP -Credential $credential
Executing Command: snapmirror create -source-path 'svm1_cluster1:volume_001' -destination-path 'svm1_cluster2:volume_001_dr' -schedule daily -policy DPDefault -type DP
Created SnapMirror relationship between "svm1_cluster1:volume_001" and "svm1_cluster2:volume_001_dr" on cluster "cluster2"

Hope that helps

/Matt

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.
Public