ONTAP Discussions

Trouble configuring SnapMirror between two ONTAP clusters

Vivek101

Hey everyone,

I'm having trouble configuring SnapMirror between two ONTAP clusters and was hoping someone might assist me.

Here's how I did it: I have two ONTAP clusters with two nodes each. I'm attempting to create a SnapMirror link between a volume on one cluster and a volume on another.

I followed the documentation's steps, but when I tried to initialize the SnapMirror relationship, I received an error message stating that the destination volume is read-only.

I double-checked the target volume's permissions. I don't know what else to try.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? Do you have any recommendations for troubleshooting?

Kindly regards
Vivek Garg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sjpillai

Please try the following steps:

1)Volume creation

vol create -vserver vservername -volume volumename -aggregate aggregatename -size size -state online -type DP -tiering-policy none/all

2)Snapmirror Create

snapmirror create -source-path vserver1:volumename -destination-path vserver2:volumename -vserver vservername -throttle unlimited

3)Snapmirror Initialize
snapmirror initialize -destination-path vserver2:volumename

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Sergey_Osipov

Could you please show us the steps you performed?

A destination volume must be created with the volume type of DP (-type DP) for SnapMirror initialization to succeed. After a volume has been created, the volume type cannot be changed.

Sjpillai

Please try the following steps:

1)Volume creation

vol create -vserver vservername -volume volumename -aggregate aggregatename -size size -state online -type DP -tiering-policy none/all

2)Snapmirror Create

snapmirror create -source-path vserver1:volumename -destination-path vserver2:volumename -vserver vservername -throttle unlimited

3)Snapmirror Initialize
snapmirror initialize -destination-path vserver2:volumename

Vivek101

Hey @Sjpillai,

Thank you for replying. I really appreciate your answer. This trick work also. 

Public