ONTAP Discussions

Trunk port and broadcast domain

FrankWest

Hi,

I’m having some confusion about how to configure broadcast domains. Our NetApp AFF-250 running ontap 9.14.1P5 is connected to 2 switches. The NetApp ports on the switches are configured as trunk ports. On the NetApp the we have several VLAN lifs configured on the e2a, e2b and e2c network interfaces. My question is: should the vlan lifs and physical ports of the 2 nodes all be in the same broadcast domain in order to have correct failover functionality when doing switch maintenance (ie. firmware upgrade) or do all vlan lifs be in their own broadcast domain?

4 REPLIES 4

TMACMD

What kind of switches? Can you use Cisco vpc or mlag on others?

You’ll want at least one vlan from each switch connected to both nodes. If the network is setup correctly, ONTAP will discover appropriate layer 2 connectivity and place the ports in the same broadcast domain automatically

FrankWest

It’s a Meraki MS425 switch and a Cisco CBS350-24X switch. Meraki doesn’t support  mlag. The 2 nodes are connected the same way to each switch. Currently we are using iscsi with multipathing, but we are thinking of moving to NFS v3 or v4.1 and want to test with it.

TMACMD

Suggest NOT using nsfv4.1 for VMware. Still odd issues happening. Stick with v3/iscsi or even nvme/tcp. 

I would configure with 2 ports to to switch a (ifgrp a0a) and two ports going to switch b (ifgrp a0b). 
configure as multimode-LACP and a distribution of port. Magee sure the channel grip on the switch is mode active (LACP).  Then add your tagged vlans. 

can certainly do one switch at a time and migrate lifs (not iscsi though) and test. 

FrankWest

Ok, thanks!

Public