ONTAP Discussions

Want to emulate old directory setup

moondog-icsi

We have two file servers for home directory space, with six separate quota-enforced trees depending on what project you're on.  They're serving files via smb or nfs.  If you belong to project1, your path would look like server/a1/username; for project2 it would be server/a2/username, etc.  

On Linux, if a user logs in this home directory gets an nfs mount like /h/server/a1/username.  For windows, a network drive is mapped via samba at \\server\username.

I cannot seem to get the Windows path to work the same way it works for us on our current setup.  I have a share, with qtrees at a1, a2, etc.  And I can copy the current data to those paths, to preserve the current directory trees.  But if I browse the Windows SMB share, it comes up as \\server\[a1-6]\ instead of \\server\username.  

I guess the two things I'm looking for is a way to hide the directory project tree and make it so the files for which the user has access to can be shown as though they are the first level path (\\server\username) instead of the secondary path (\\server\aX\username)

I experimented with home directories, and user mapping, and I can't seem to get anywhere close to getting this behavior out of the netapp.  Any idea where I'm going wrong...?

5 REPLIES 5

paul_stejskal

Dynamic Home Dirs are a recommended practices for home directories.

What is going wrong for you that it isn't working?

moondog-icsi

Well, maybe I'm going about this the wrong way.  I can get a home directory share set up, but I can't mount the share in solaris, which means copying the existing data can't be done.  There's also the question of %w vs. %d, because we are using the samba protocol for Windows domain accounts, but %w sounds like local accounts to me instead.  

Should I just create my usual structure, then convert the subdirectories into home directories later?  My understanding is conversion will NOT map the current (copied) directories to the existing users, but will instead create new directories for those users who login after conversion.  

paul_stejskal

From my memory:

%d is domain

%w is windows username

%u is unix based username (what ONTAP would more natively recognize, using usermapping)

%w can be used for a non-AD local user/group setup

There's this KB as well: https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Software/ONTAP_OS/How_to_configure_clustered_Data_ONTAP_home_directories

The main documentation page is located at: https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMP1610207/html/GUID-D16B85B1-FE36-4F01-9C04-9E1E58E6834E.html

moondog-icsi

We're on 9.7.0, is the 8.2 page still relevant to the same commands?  

paul_stejskal
Yes. Home directories haven't changed in a long long time.
Public