ONTAP Discussions

issue connecting to shares with named CIFS path instead of IP

Mohi1

We have 2 Shares on same Vserver,

we were able to connect to both shares at same time with different service account credentials , but now only one at a time is getting connected.

While connecting with IP's it is working fine, but not with names 

i have found the below KB

Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user is not allowed error while accessing CIFS share - NetApp Knowledge Base [kb.netap...

But still have queries 

1. How both the shares using same vserver were accessible from the same source server via different credentials from the migration date till now . Please note the  team was using the named CIFS path for i2q and Tips shares.
  2. Is there any way to set the primary and secondary on the share level?

we should not use the Ip addresses directly. The naming convention should be used. Please advise.

3 REPLIES 3

cedric_renauld

Hello,

You need to connect with 2 different users account to the same share, with 1 Windows system ?

Right ?

Mohi1

we have 2 cifs shares on same vserver, and we are using two service accounts to access them on same windows system, earlier it was working with alais names , but now only via ip address it is working both at a time.

ChLokesh

Hello, 

You cannot connect to same windows server, same share with different user.

If they were able to connect, were you using alias name before and now started using SVM SPN account name?
IP will work as it uses NTLM but SPN name wont becuae it willuse Kerbeors.

Please refer to below article. 
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-US/troubleshoot/windows-server/networking/cannot-connect-to-network-share#workaround-1
I see there are workarounds given using ip or alias name.

Hoep that helpw you.

Public