ONTAP Discussions

proper way to disable a port in order to replace SFP

Aldous

Hi,

we have a FAS2552 (Single Chassis switchless clustered). we need to replace the SFP in the port e0c/0c (it's still up and working but having events "FC target adapter 0c reports that it is receiving (RX) and transmit (TX) at a low level of power". Since the port is shared by both ethernet port e0c and FCoE port 0c. Also, e0c is one of the member of if-group. I don't know what is the proper way to shut down the port before I replace the SFP.  Can someone help, please

Thanks very much

Aldous

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Aldous

Thanks everyone. I understand that i can just pull the cable/sfp and replace. However, the data link was still up and data traffics existing. I prefer to have more graceful shutdown instead of letting the endpoint system to detect the link down which may cause latency. Anyway, I've done this by forcing the active link at the endpoint system to different path so that no traffics sending over the link and then shut down the physical interface before I replace the SFP.  All good now. 
Thanks again

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

TMACMD

Nothing to really do. Just disconnect the fibre, remove the bad sfp, insert good sfp and reinsert fibre

as long as you have multiple paths to everything you will be fine

liu

There is no necessity to deactivate the port. You are required to disconnect the fiber initially, then unplug the faulty SFP, and insert the new SFP.

ChLokesh

Hello there, 

This below KB should TC of all your queries on SFP replacement.

https://kb.netapp.com/on-prem/ontap/OHW/OHW-KBs/How_to_Remove_and_Replace_SFP

Hope this helps. 

Aldous

Thanks everyone. I understand that i can just pull the cable/sfp and replace. However, the data link was still up and data traffics existing. I prefer to have more graceful shutdown instead of letting the endpoint system to detect the link down which may cause latency. Anyway, I've done this by forcing the active link at the endpoint system to different path so that no traffics sending over the link and then shut down the physical interface before I replace the SFP.  All good now. 
Thanks again

TMACMD

That is exactly the same as pulling the link!

In any case the underlying protocol is handling that whether you pull the cables or shut the port down

just wait for the link/ifgp to stabilize after reconnecting to try and remove another link

As usual with tech there is more than one way to do the correct thing. 

Public