ONTAP Hardware

Are FlexGroup volumes supported on Data ONTAP 9.1 and NSE Disks?

nicholsongc

Documentation clearly shows VOLUME encryption isn't supported for FLexGroup volumes until 9.2.

But are FlexGroup volumes supported on NetAppself-encrypting (NSE) disks before Ontap 9.2?

My error doesn't state this:

Error: command failed: Request to create FlexGroup "TestFlexGroup_vol" failed because the requested size is greater than the maximum size. The maximum possible size is 0B (0B).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

nicholsongc

Support has weighed in... one of the aggregates in the aggr-list is at 85% capacity utilization.  ONTAP is looking for 20% free on the aggregates in order to create the FlexGroup.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

SpindleNinja

I don't believe NSE will matter,   different tech than NVE.     NSE isn't mentioned in the FlexGroup TR either. 

What's the ONTAP version, platform and what command where you trying to run? 

nicholsongc

Thank you for your response!

My goal is to create a FlexGroup SnapMirror destination volume on this cluster.  The specific command is referenced in the FlexGroup documentation.

Platform: FAS8200 running ONTAP 9.1P16

Command:

CLUSTER-DR::> volume create -vserver SVM01DR -aggr-list aggr1_node1_sata,aggr1_node2_sata -aggr-list-multiplier 6 -size 1TB -type DP SVM01_ntap_FlexGroupDEV_vol_mirror

Warning: A FlexGroup "SVM01_ntap_FlexGroupDEV_vol_mirror" will be created with the following number of constituents of size 85.33GB: 12.

Do you want to continue? {y|n}: y

Warning: The export-policy "default" has no rules in it. The volume will therefore be inaccessible.
Do you want to continue? {y|n}: y

Error: command failed: Request to create FlexGroup "SVM01_ntap_FlexGroupDEV_vol_mirror" failed because the requested size is greater than the maximum size. The maximum possible size is 0B (0B).

Aggregates listed have 5TB and 25TB free respectively.  I am able to create FlexGroup volumes on my FAS8040 platform running ONTAP 9.1P16

SpindleNinja

Odd... even if you make it too big,  it'll still say how big it can make it,  not 0.   Does it let you create even a tiny one?  like this for example?   

volume create -vserver SVM01DR -aggr-list aggr1_node1_sata -aggr-list-multiplier 2 -size 100gb -type DP SVM01_ntap_FlexGroupDEV_test

Have you tried making a non-DP version and even adding -space-guarantee none in there? 

nicholsongc

Running the exact command you offered results in the same error.  It's as though ONTAP is saying the volume is not supported - hence the "maximum possible size is 0B (0B)" message.  This one's a head-scratcher for sure.  I'll probably engage support next but wanted to reach out to the community before doing so.

Thanks for the feedback!

nicholsongc

Support has weighed in... one of the aggregates in the aggr-list is at 85% capacity utilization.  ONTAP is looking for 20% free on the aggregates in order to create the FlexGroup.

SpindleNinja

So if you just create on the other aggr, it works?  

Public