ONTAP Hardware

BSAS?

ramjet666

Hi,

I have tried to find out why there is BSAS & SAS disk types when creating an aggregate to no avail. What is BSAS?

Regards,

Roger.

7 REPLIES 7

mkopenski

Serial Attached SCSI (SAS)

Bridged SAS (BSAS) - SATA drives

RichardSopp

Hi Roger,

BSAS stands for Bridged SAS.

When you see that on a NetApp system it means you have SATA disks in a SAS enclosure.

Based on current product offerings this would be a DS4243 disk shelf.

Are you seeing both BSAS and SAS disk types in the same aggregate?

I didn’t think that was possible.

Richard

BALAJI_VENKATRAMAN

Also refer to the below document

https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMM1277794/html/smg/GUID-2F317E55-FBC5-46A1-B121-215861E1258A.html

This show the mix and match of certain types of disks in the same aggregate

Mr_Bailey

Im not that familiar with netapp. I only know the basics. Anyway I was reading on this forum below:

http://community.netapp.com/t5/FAS-and-V-Series-Storage-Systems-Discussions/BSAS/td-p/49090

and you asked "Are you seeing both BSAS and SAS disk types in the same aggregate?"

I do see this and i was trying to figure out which Netapp has what. I was told one has Sata (BSAS) and another has SAS. I see both types in both Netapps. Why is this? Also would you know or know of any documentation on how to learn your current Netapp configuration. What i mean by that is how they are connected to the network and to eachother? these netapps are stored in a Data Center hundreds of miles away. I understand these might be stupid questions but i figure i can learn more about SAN storage. I ve attached screenshots of each netapp.

chad_petrie

Is it posted anywhere what the drive specs are on BSAS? I am interested to know what kind of IO it can support.

mkopenski

I don't know of anything posted. BSAS are basically the Sam as 7200 sata drives,

BALAJI_VENKATRAMAN

Richard is correct..that BSAS are the same as SATA and can be used as Tier 2 low performing applications or backup filers.

Check tr-3437 for more details

Public