ONTAP Hardware

Cable FAS2620 To Single DS2246 Shelf

jtovb

Hello

We are wanting to add a DS2246 to a FAS2620 currently up and running with no Diskshelf. The DS2246 is currently connected to a FAS2240 which is being taken offline soon. Want to verify our cabling plan. The documents can be a bit confusing.

Using: Installation and Service Guide For DS4243, DS2246, DS4486, and DS4246 Jun 2020 and SAS and ACP Cabling Guide
For DS4243, DS2246, DS4486, and DS4246 June 2020.

On page 17 I see a connection picture that looks like what we want to do for a 2 Controller single shelf but unsure of how I tell which side of our shelf is IOM A and IOM B?

The other questions I have is how to cable the ACP ports. Looking at picture on page 55 show connections but with multiple shelf's and stacks.

Attached is a ppt of how I think we cable up the new configuration. 

Slide 1 is how I think we cable the desired FAS2620 to DS2246 both SAS and ACP cables. I do have a question on the connection from cluster01-02 e0b to cluster01-01 e0b. Not sure if that is needed.

Slides 2 and 3 are using graphic for the same connections as slide 1

Slide 4 is the current our FAS2620 connections with no shelf.  

Slide 5 is the current FAS2240 to DS2246

Thanks for any information and help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SpindleNinja

Before you move the shelf over, be sure to remove any data/zero spares and un-own all the drives.  

Do not move / disconnect e0a/e0b they are already connected to each other...   they are for the cluster networking.  

Slide 2 is all you need to do.  There is no ACP cabling (cat5) support on the 26xx series.  

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

SpindleNinja

Before you move the shelf over, be sure to remove any data/zero spares and un-own all the drives.  

Do not move / disconnect e0a/e0b they are already connected to each other...   they are for the cluster networking.  

Slide 2 is all you need to do.  There is no ACP cabling (cat5) support on the 26xx series.  

jtovb

Hello

Thanks that looks easy lol.

I was asking about the other cables because the current FAS2240 & DS2246 do have those connections. Understand not to move disconnect e0a/e0b on the controller, makes sense as it is for Cluster networking.

How about connections between IOM A and IOM B?

sudheer1

Hello

This can be helpful: https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMLP2316768

Regards

Sudheer MV

jtovb

Thanks sudheer1. We do have that chart. It was a little confusing as it does not have a config with a single shelf.

SpindleNinja

Your slide 2 was correct.  

As far as the install doc.  just picture the first and last shelf as the same shelf.  

sudheer1

Hello,

Please check the connections for a single shelf with IOM6 connected to a FAS26xx.

SAS adapter 0a of CONTROLLER A should be connected to external shelf DS2246 IOMB SQR PORT
SAS adapter 0b of CONTROLLER A should be connected to external shelf DS2246 IOMA CIR PORT

SAS adapter 0a of CONTROLLER B should be connected to external shelf DS2246 IOMA SQR PORT
SAS adapter 0b of CONTROLLER B should be connected to external shelf DS2246 IOMB CIR PORT

Note: 

CONTROLLE A  sas port 0b is considered as internal IOM A which shouldn't be connected to IOMB of an external shelf and like wise node  CONTROLLER B 0b is considered as internal IOMB which shouldn't be connected to IOMA of an external shelf , if we violates this then we get MixOfIOMAandIOMBConnection_Alert.

Regards

Sudheer MV

jtovb

Thanks Sudheer1

One of the questions I had was how do I tell which side is IOMA and which is IOMB?

sudheer1

Hello,

From the rear view of DS2246,  IOM6 -A will be on the left and IOM6 - B will be on the right.

Cheers

Sudheer MV

jtovb

Got it thanks.

Then for the controllers is the one you are calling  CONTROLLER A = to Node 1 (which is on the right in my config)?

The reason I am asking is because or current FAS2240 to DS2246 to SAS cables are connected the opposite. See my slide 5.

sudheer1

Hello,

From the rear view of FAS2620, CONTROLLER A = Node 1 will be on the left and the CONTROLLER B = Node 2 will be on the right.

Onboard SAS ports of FAS 2620 will be like 0a and 0b, however for FAS 2240 it will start with 0b and 0a hence the SAS connections will differ. 

You can refer to Hardware universe for more clarity.  https://hwu.netapp.com/Controller/Index?platformTypeId=2032#none

Cheers

Sudheer MV

jtovb

Thanks.

It will be a week or two before we get to try this. Will let you all know how it went.

Thanks for the help.

andris

Just to dispel any doubt, the "A" and "B" module positions are indicated by a label right in the middle section between the module and PSU slots.

jtovb

Thanks andris. Yep there they are. Sure missed that.

jtovb

We finally got to adding the Diskshelf  and configuring. It is working fine, thanks for all the help.

Public