ONTAP Hardware

DS4246 - Reset to Defaults without credentials

KosstDukat

Hello all,

Hoping someone has the answer I’m looking for.  My company has pulled a few storage arrays from a stockroom and asked me to configure them to work as network storage arrays.  I’m new to working with this hardware so, naturally, I took to Google.  It helped me with some of them but I still have one straggler - a NetApp DS4246.  I have it powered on and connected to the network, and it is reachable but I don’t have login credentials for it.  Unfortunately, the documentation has been lost to time so I’m trying to do a reset of the hardware so I can start from scratch.  Sadly, while Google had a lot to say, none of it pertained to my situation as they all said how to reset it once you have access to the system, which I don’t.  Is there a way to manually reset the hardware to defaults?  I don’t care about the data, I’d be deleting it anyway even if I could get in.  Thanks for any help you can provide!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ontapforrum

NetApp provides a method for resetting the root/admin account password if it isn't currently known.

However, it is not clear from your reply whether the DiskShelf is connected to Controller running 7-mode or cDOT. In any case, I have given links for both. Just follow the steps in the kb, once the "root" (7-mode) or "admin" (cDOT) password is reset, you will be able to gain access and set it up for archival/storage purpose as you desire.

How to reset root password from boot menu ONTAP 7-Mode
https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Software/ONTAP_OS_7_Mode/How_to_reset_root_password_from_boot_menu_ONTAP_7-Mode

How to reset admin password from boot menu in cDOT/ONTAP:
https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Software/ONTAP_OS/How_to_reset_admin_password_from_boot_menu_in_ONTAP

Just fyi: For this Model FAS2240-Both Hardware/Software has reached end-of-life/end-of-support. However, FAS2720 (Should be running cDOT/ONTAP) is fairly new system that should be fine from support perspective.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Ontapforrum

NetApp DS4246 is just a DiskShelf there is NO login-credentials (as it does not contain any OS inside). This disk Shelf must be connected to "NetApp Controller" and only then you will be able to access it and use it.

Could you elaborate, What do you mean when you say - It is reachable but I don't have Login credentials ? Is the shelf (DS4246) connected to 'NetApp Controller', if yes, what model is it ?

KosstDukat

Thanks for the response!  So, I have it connected to a switch and tried to SSH into it via PuTTY at the IP address it had (found via Wireshark) and was given a login prompt, but without the login details, I'm stuck right there.  We do have another NetApp device in there (Model FAS2240-2, version 8.2.5P5 7-Mode), which I believe is a controller (I was able to connect to it both via SSH and using the NetApp OnCommand software), but this is my first time trying to set one up from scratch, so I'm flying blind.  

In the end, what my management wants is to have a networked share drive where they can just dump data for archival.  I've worked with a 2720 in the past but by the time I got it, it had already been configured, so I was just working with it from a maintenance perspective.  

Ontapforrum

NetApp provides a method for resetting the root/admin account password if it isn't currently known.

However, it is not clear from your reply whether the DiskShelf is connected to Controller running 7-mode or cDOT. In any case, I have given links for both. Just follow the steps in the kb, once the "root" (7-mode) or "admin" (cDOT) password is reset, you will be able to gain access and set it up for archival/storage purpose as you desire.

How to reset root password from boot menu ONTAP 7-Mode
https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Software/ONTAP_OS_7_Mode/How_to_reset_root_password_from_boot_menu_ONTAP_7-Mode

How to reset admin password from boot menu in cDOT/ONTAP:
https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Software/ONTAP_OS/How_to_reset_admin_password_from_boot_menu_in_ONTAP

Just fyi: For this Model FAS2240-Both Hardware/Software has reached end-of-life/end-of-support. However, FAS2720 (Should be running cDOT/ONTAP) is fairly new system that should be fine from support perspective.

AlexDawson

Based on the information provided, this is probably a FAS2554 controller, so these are the correct instructions. 

Public