ONTAP Hardware

FAS2240 + 2 DS2246 SAS/ACP cabling

RyanConsol

I'm looking for a little bit of advice/comfort as I am planning on upgrading one of our FAS2240 units with an additional disk shelf.  Currently it has one DS2246 connected and we are going to add another here shortly.  My FAS2240 has 2 controllers and is running in HA mode with 7-Mode 8.2.3.  What I'm slightly confused by is the SAS and ACP cabling options, from reading the SAS guidelines PDF, as some of the configuration examples show they do not apply to the FAS20XX systems, which I'm not sure applies to my configuration or not. 

Below is our current SAS and ACP configuration for the existing FAS2240 + DS2246 shelf, and what I'm proposing for the connections when we add the 2nd shelf the mix.  I've also created two diagrams that I've attached.   My other concern is what order to move the SAS/ACP cables so we can do a hot add without causing an outage.  If someone has guidance for this, I'd greatly appreciate it. 

Existing FAS2240 + 1 DS2246 shelf

SAS:

Controller A:  0b -  Shelf 1: B side, port 2

Controller A:  0a -  Shelf 1: A side, port 1

Controller B:  0b -  Shelf 1: A side, port 2

Controller B:  0a -  Shelf 1: B side, port 1

ACP:

Controller A - Shelf 1: A side port 1

Shelf 1: A side port 2 - Shelf 1:B port 1

Shefl 1: B side port 2 - Controller B

Proposed Cabling for FAS2240 with 2 DS2246 shelves:

SAS:

Controller A:  0b - Shelf 2: B side port 2

Controller A:  0a - Shelf 1: A side port 1

Controller B:  0b - Shelf 2: A side port 2

Controller B:  0a - Shelf 1: B side port 1

Shelf 1: A side port 2 - Shelf 2: A side port 1

Shelf 1: B side port 2 - Shelf 2:  B side port 1

ACP:

Controller A - Shelf 1: A side port 1

Shelf 1:  A side port 2 - Shelf 2: A side port 1

Shelf 2: A side port 2 - Shelf 1: B side port 1

Shelf 1: B side port 2 - Shelf 2: B side port 1

Shelf 2: B side port 2 - Controller B

NetApp FAS2240-2 with 1 Disk Shelf SAS-ACP Cable Diagram.jpg

Proposed Cabling for adding a 2nd shelf:

NetApp FAS2240-2 with 2 Disk Shelf SAS-ACP Cable Diagram.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

scottgelb

screen shot in case the link doesn't work..

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

scottgelb

Hard to see all the cabling but the ACP seems off... connect on one module from node1, then a different module path on node2... Check page 3 of this quick install guide ... Installation and Setup FAS2240...these quick guides are great and clearly show the cabling for what you are doing.   https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_get_file/ECMP1193604 

scottgelb

screen shot in case the link doesn't work..

RyanConsol

Excellent, thank you!!! That is exactly what I was looking for (the screenshot link) and couldn't find it for the life of me.  Now my other question is when I go to re-cable the system, which order should I move the SAS cables in?  Should I just do one at a time if I can, IE:  start with controller A, port 1 and move that to the new shelf and then just trace my way back?  Or is there a specific order I should follow? 

scottgelb

I pull the multipath bottom connections... hot add the new shelf... then re-connect the multipath bottom connections.

matthes138

Would someone please be so kind as to explain a few things for me?

- I would like to know the main differences between the disk shelf models (FAS2220 and DS2246-R5)

- Also, how the shelf’s are cabled together assuming this is a single system with dual controllers

- Any documentation/diagrams to help me understand the best practice for cabling shelf’s

- When would SAS cables be used instead of fibre

Many thanks in advance

SeanHatfield

The FAS2220 is a storage controller, and the DS2246 is a disk shelf.  The disk shelf model numbers are descriptive: ( Disk Shelf 2u24bay wtih 6gig sas ).  These shelves use a SAS interconnect, so you'll be using SAS cables to connect them.

The cabling rules and methods are described in detail in the Universal SAS and ACP Cabling Guide:

https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_get_file/ECMM1280392

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

matthes138

This is how i see the cabling setup?   Can anyone tellme if im on the right track and reading the document correctly?

CMonassir

Hello 

sorry i'm New here and I don't know if i'm interpting anyone I just really need your help. I just got a job and I found a DS4243 on the stock that my compnay would love to use but they have no idea how after some reaserch I found out that first we don't have a controller only the diskshelf DS4243 so I want your help guys and tell me which controller is the best in my case I think is the FAS2040 but I need you to confirme it and also what kind of cables I need SAS cables and ACP cables I mean the Reference that I should send to the supplier.

thank you in advance 

Public