ONTAP Hardware

FAS2520 Controller replacement

Roger_Cable

I have a controller that isn't working properly.

Everytime I try to get information from it I get the error "RPC: Couldn't make connection"

I also tried to halt it, and do a fail-over giveback to it and I'm getting the same errors.

I purchased a replacement part on ebay, but I'm worried that if I insert it as the primary (it was the primary that went down) then it will replace all my settings and I'll lose the cluster.

Can anyone advise on how to insert this new controller and have it rebuild based on the secondary controller (which is my only good one currently)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NetApp_SR

The below document will help you to replace the controller. From your post I am assuming a version of Clustered ONTAP. The new motherboard will not work not work with the old license keys. You have a 90-day grace period after which you need updated license keys.  If you did not know Hardware Universe shows the end of support for the FAS2520 is January 31, 2023. I suggest getting any firmware updates as soon as possible for the platform as they will most likely be removed from the support site soon.

Replacing the controller module FAS25xx systems
https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMP1147156

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

NetApp_SR

The below document will help you to replace the controller. From your post I am assuming a version of Clustered ONTAP. The new motherboard will not work not work with the old license keys. You have a 90-day grace period after which you need updated license keys.  If you did not know Hardware Universe shows the end of support for the FAS2520 is January 31, 2023. I suggest getting any firmware updates as soon as possible for the platform as they will most likely be removed from the support site soon.

Replacing the controller module FAS25xx systems
https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMP1147156

Roger_Cable

Should I update my current good controller to the latest version before I swap out the bad one, or should I work on it as is, then update the software afterward?

Public