ONTAP Hardware

FAS3140 10G port speed is 40MB/s

praveen121b

Hi All,

Facing issue with our 10G connectivity, we have this Extreme Networks Summit X670 switch. Connected FAS3140 with Data ONTAP version is 8.0.2P3 7-Mode to the switch and host is Windows 2012 R2. Currently the write speed is 40 MB/s and read speed is in Kbs. We have Hitach and EMC storage and those are giving good write speed, around 500 MB/s.

For your reference I am attaching few command outputs that may help in analysing the issue.

Please help me resolving this issue.

Regards,

Praveen.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

YIshikawa
Have you already checked "saystat -x"? Bottleneck may came from small NVRAM. FAS3140 has only 512MB NVRAM, so each controller in HA configuration can receive write data up to 128MB per Each CP.
If each CP takes 3seconds, throughput is limited to 40 MB/s. CP time depends on workload and configuration, but 3 seconds is not so bad in common environment - well-planned RAID with fast SAS disks and/or external cache may be sometimes required for better performance in this generation.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

YIshikawa
Have you already checked "saystat -x"? Bottleneck may came from small NVRAM. FAS3140 has only 512MB NVRAM, so each controller in HA configuration can receive write data up to 128MB per Each CP.
If each CP takes 3seconds, throughput is limited to 40 MB/s. CP time depends on workload and configuration, but 3 seconds is not so bad in common environment - well-planned RAID with fast SAS disks and/or external cache may be sometimes required for better performance in this generation.

praveen121b

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I have collected sysstat -x output and it seems everything is perfectly alright for me.

Please check and let me know if any issues are there.

Racoon

Please tranfer something , i cant see any network traffic.

Is the 2012R2 Server physical or virtualized? If virtual, which network interface does he use? If you have constant 40MB/s it could be a 1GIG interface, and that would be your limiter.

Racoon

Also, dont use MAC Adress Loadbalancing, use Port based or IP based Loadbalancing. Configure LACP if possible on the Switch side

praveen121b

Hi All,

Thank you very much for all your inputs and replies.     

Still there is issue with the cifs performance.

After making few changes the write performance has improved, but read performance is between 10-20 kb/s

Need your help on this.

Regards,

Praveen.

WorkLiance

Cann you post what changes were made and what the read performance was before and after the changes?

Curious what your 'options cifs.tcp_window_size' is. default is 17520 but I've seen this typically changed to a value of 65535

Do you have FastPath enabled?

praveen121b

Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply.

As such there was no change, but as you said cifs.tcp_window_size was 17520 I changed it to 64240.  Before and after this change there is no difference in the CIFS read performance.

From 10G host the read speed is 40MB/s and from 1G host it is 20 KB/s.

options ip.fastpath.enable is on.

Regards,

Praveen.

Public