ONTAP Hardware

FAS8080 Controllers

TTS

the controller on the FAS 8080 Systems, is there such thing as protocol keys as part of the controllers? Supposedly, when you replace a controller and do not include the protocol keys on the controller, it will not function. This first time I am hearing of such. Can someone give insight on this? Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
3 REPLIES 3

paul_stejskal

The license keys should be recreated. A non-technical case is made when a motherboard is replaced in a RMA, so this should update the internal system. I believe the license keys if needed are part of this. If you have any problems you can contact the support engineer and/or account team.

Ontapforrum

Well, there are license keys for 'protocols" (ex- CIFS/NFS/ISCSI/FC etc). Also, could you elaborate on - "it will not function" ? What do you mean here. 

I haven't done replacing controller myself so can't answer this question, but as I read :

You must install new licenses for the replacement node if the impaired node was using ONTAP features that require a standard (node-locked) license.

https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMP1199896

I guess someone in forum will correct me here.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

Public