ONTAP Hardware

Failover of LIF for CIFS and NFS on cDOT 8.3

JOHANSEGERS

Hi,

I have a FAS8040 with cDOT 8.3 called FAS14

I have setup failoverr of LIFs in the following way:

1. created a LIF for CIFS using e3b of node1 of FAS14

2. set up failover policy as user-defined on that LIF

3. created a failover-group FOG-CIFS for the SVM CIFS with e3b of node1 and e3b of node2 in it

Currently, the user-fail-overgoup of the LIFs is seen as unused. Do i have to change it to "enbaled" ? If so, how can i that ?

Do i have to do something more for failover ?

I did the same for a SVM for NFS.

Question: When e3B of node1 goes down, does e3b of node2 takes over automatically using this setup ?

Or do i need interface groups for failover and a separate Ipspace and broadcast group ?

Regards,

Johan

3 REPLIES 3

colsen

There's a lot that goes into failover LIFs, failover groups, etc.  I'd recommend jumping to page 69 of the following:

https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_get_file/ECMP1636021

That will explain the concepts in a lot more detail than can be easily done here and it'll make sure you don't lose data connectivity in a failover and/or other failure.

Hope that helps!

Chris

JOHANSEGERS

I looked into this document for V 8.3  :2 remarks:

1. it does not speak anymùr about use-failover-group.  ?????

2. As long as the default failover group exists holding all the ports, the failover goes wrong if it takes this a wrong port. I cannot remove ports from this failover group..... and i cannot delete the Default failover group.

3. Does this mean that user-defined failover-groups have alwqys prefenrence over the default failover group ?

Best regards,

Johan

robinpeter

IF you are on Ontap 8.3 or 9 there is little to no reason to manage your network-failover group manually.
You should be managing the broadcast-domain by grouping the ports in to broadcast-domain (same vlan, type & speed)
rest will be managed by ontap, if you use the appropriate settings "failover-policy and failover-group" for the LIF while creating it.

You can use the following command to get the LIF's settings.

::> net int show -fields auto-revert,firewall-policy,failover-group,status-admin,dns-zone,role,data-protocol,home-node,home-port,auto,listen-for-dns-query,ipspace,failover-policy,netmask-length,address

The following list describes how the -failover-policy setting affects the target ports that are selected from the failover group:

broadcast-domain-wide : All ports on all nodes in the failover group.
system-defined        : Only those ports on the LIF's home node and a non-SFO partner.
local-only            : Only those ports on the LIF's home node.
sfo-partner-only      : Only those ports on the LIF's home node and its SFO partner.
disabled              : The LIF is not configured for failover.

Types of failover policies Click here

Configuring failover settings on a LIF Click here

I have attached a sample output from a recently configured (ontap 9.1) cluster.

If you select the fixed-width font in a text editor the output file should be formatted.

hope this help.

robin.

Public