ONTAP Hardware

How to "create" a spare disk in a v3240 that is fully aggregated and has none.

NETAPPDOW
Hi;

NetApp Release 8.2.3P4 7-Mode
Fully populated v3240 (600GB SAS disks), but no spares. Had to replace a few pre-fails.
There's about 3 TB "available space".
How do I create a Spare disk out of one of the ones in use?
Thanks.

Gregg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

aborzenkov

Either convert RAID_DP to RAID4 and get one spare for each raid group or backup, recreate aggregate, restore.

if you have more than one aggregate you may be able to move data off one of them (temporary).

When choosing between RAID_DP without spares and RAID4 with spares I’d prefer RAID_DP.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

aborzenkov

Either convert RAID_DP to RAID4 and get one spare for each raid group or backup, recreate aggregate, restore.

if you have more than one aggregate you may be able to move data off one of them (temporary).

When choosing between RAID_DP without spares and RAID4 with spares I’d prefer RAID_DP.

NETAPPDOW

@aborzenkov wrote:

==============================================================================

Thanks.   Can't do that.  So there's no way to select a disk, move data off, and zero it out  for a spare?

andris

No.

Public