ONTAP Hardware

Is there a description of environment sensors ?

Michael_K

Hallo community

we want to monitor the NetApp sensors for temperatures, fans etc.. The data of the FAS systems are read out with Powershell (Invoke-NcSystemApi), written to an InfluxDB and graphically processed with Grafana - that works. But
* is there somewhere a detailed description, which sensor is responsible for what?
* how do I get the corresponding data from E-Series systems?

Any idea?

Best Regards

Michael

4 REPLIES 4

Michael_K

Hello,

as described above, I already collect the data of all sensors via PowerShell and prepare them graphically with Grafana;  so of course I know the CLI command "::> system node environment sensors show -instance".

What I am missing is the exact meaning of the sensors, which sensor is responsible for what? There are a lot of sensors for temperature, voltage, current etc. depending on the hardware.

• Which are the most important sensors?
  • Is there any hardware documentation about it?
  • For example, how can I calculate the current power consumption (watts) with which sensors (at any time,  night or under heavy load)? - I know that there is information about "Watts Typical", "Watts Worst" etc. in the Hardware Universe, but that is not enough.

Best Regards

Michael

aladd

Depending on the chassis environment you're looking at there are KBs that will tie in sensor ID's with a location on the chassis (e.g. https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Systems/FAS_Systems/How_to_map_NS224_shelf_elements_to_physical_locations_within_the_she...)

NetAppCE

I have the same question.  from the system sensors command we can get the detailed sensor information. But How can I know the sensor detail explanation item by item. 

Public