ONTAP Hardware

New FAS2620 with drive shelf

Sycraft

We just got a new FAS2620 loaded full of disks and one extra drive shelf to go with it. It is going to be used as home directories/file storage for our users. Nothing high intensity, but all the same we'd like it to perform as well as possible. So that leads me to a question about creating aggregates: Is it better to make one big aggregate with all the disks in it and have one controller handle everything, or is it better to make two aggregates and have each controller own half the disks?

5 REPLIES 5

GidonMarcus

Hi

As always in our world - it's depends.. but as you said the workload is low - that's remove the main consideration.

if the disks are the same, creating an active passive can work well and give you less management overhead.

Gidi

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

andris

We might have a more useful answer if you gave details on the disks (type and sizes) and shelves, involved...

Sycraft

There are 24 4TB NL-SAS disks total, 12 in the FAS, 12 in a shelf. I'm probably just going to go ahead and do two aggregates of equal size since that's what the automatic config wizard wanted to do and NetApp indicates that it does things per their best practices. It wanted to make 2 RAID-DP groups of 11 disks, and put each in a seperate aggregate, and give each aggragate to a controller.

ESG_NetApp_User

Is there an easy way to go from an active/active to active/passive?  We also are just in the process of setting up a new FAS2650 with DS226 shelf.  the shelf is already setup as one large aggregate for my capacity/archive tier.  The 2650 is loaded with 24x1.8TB SAS 10K drives and would like to maximize the space & performance of them.  Currently its setup with two aggregates of approximately 12.8TB each, assigned to each controller. 

Thanks! 

Public