ONTAP Hardware

Swap Unowned Disks Between Filers

ttrace_essence

Greetings,

My primary filer is a V3240 HA pair, running DOT 8.0.2RC1 7-mode.

The first DS4243 is fully loaded with 1TB SATA disks; all are assigned to RAID groups and aggregates.  The second DS4243 arrived yesterday.  It is fully loaded with 450GB SAS disks; all are unowned.

Another filer is a FAS2040, running 7.3.4.  The internal disks are all 450GB SAS.  It has one DS4243 which is loaded with twelve 450GB SAS disks; twelve slots are empty.

Wouldn't you know it -- this morning out of the clear blue sky we have a space problem on the 2040.

1. Is technically possible for me to remove twelve of the unowned disks from the 3240 and add them to the 2040?
  2. What warranty issues might I encounter?

Thank you

4 REPLIES 4

cannavaro

Can't see why you can't just physically swap them over, my understanding is that the warranty is on the heads and shelves. You own the disks so can choose to install them in whatever netapp devices you see fit.

scottgelb

Yes it is supported... you can't hot remove though but you can hot add.. so the 3240 needs to be shutdown (even if just unassigned spares) to have a supported way to remove the shelf...then you can hot add to the 2040.  The raid labels are different between 8 and 7.3 but since not in an aggregate and unassigned you should not have an issue.

For support...you already pay for that on the controllers and shelves...definitely run it by your netapp rep but on renewal you will pay for the changed shelf count on each node.

ttrace_essence

Scott Gelb wrote:

Yes it is supported... you can't hot remove though but you can hot add.. so the 3240 needs to be shutdown (even if just unassigned spares) to have a supported way to remove the shelf...

Thanks, Scott, I wasn't going to remove a shelf - I was just going to take twelve unowned disks from a full shelf and move them to another array.....

scottgelb

Cool… use shelf fillers though… air flow may be an issue and don’t want the shelf to shut down or have an issue with fans.

Public