ONTAP Hardware

Upgrade 2240 7-mode

A_Zhurenkov

Hello. I have NetApp 2240 ONTAP 8.1.4 7-mode and I want to upgrade it to last version. Looks like I should convert it to cluster mode and ther upgrade but I have no idea how to do it and where can I download software.
Could someone send instruction and software please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AlexDawson

Hi there!

You've got some good advice, but a couple of things:

• Data-in-place conversion from 7-mode to Clustered ONTAP is not possible, you have to wipe and reformat
  • Clustered ONTAP license codes are different from 8.1 license codes
  • We will not issue Clustered ONTAP license codes for systems that are no longer in support
  • You need the license codes to install Clustered ONTAP 9.1
  • You can only legally upgrade to ONTAP 8.2.5P5 if you have a valid support contract for this system
  • Almost all support contracts for FAS2240s ended by 31 March 2021

Sorry we can't be of more help.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Mjizzini

This article describes the procedure that should be followed to repurpose a Data ONTAP 8.1.x 7-Mode or later storage controller to ONTAP 9.

How to repurpose a Data ONTAP 8.1.x or later 7-Mode node to ONTAP 9

More helpful links:

Transition to clustered Data ONTAP by using the 7-Mode Transition Tool

https://mysupport.netapp.com/site/downloads

A_Zhurenkov

Thank you for link, but I need to convert from 7-mode to cluster. I don't need save data also.

A_Zhurenkov

I think I've found instruction I need (https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Software/ONTAP_OS/How_to_repurpose_a_Data_ONTAP_8.1.x_or_later_7-Mode_node_to_ONTAP_9).

But I'm not sure if I need some software file to convert to cluster mode.

andris

Note: FAS22xx models have recently reached End of Support.

You'll need access to the ONTAP 9.1P20 image.tgz file for this procedure.

A_Zhurenkov

Can I upgrade directly from 8.1.4 7-mode to 9.1 cluster mode or should upgrade to 8.2.5 7-mode first?

aborzenkov

You cannot upgrade from 7-Mode to C-Mode. It is complete new installation and what was present on this system does not matter. You may consider updating BIOS/firmware to the latest version before installing C-Mode though, using 7-Mode. I have seen cases when ONTAP failed to boot on too old firmware.

AlexDawson

Hi there!

You've got some good advice, but a couple of things:

• Data-in-place conversion from 7-mode to Clustered ONTAP is not possible, you have to wipe and reformat
  • Clustered ONTAP license codes are different from 8.1 license codes
  • We will not issue Clustered ONTAP license codes for systems that are no longer in support
  • You need the license codes to install Clustered ONTAP 9.1
  • You can only legally upgrade to ONTAP 8.2.5P5 if you have a valid support contract for this system
  • Almost all support contracts for FAS2240s ended by 31 March 2021

Sorry we can't be of more help.

SEIMTEXTER

I understand the urge to upgrade, but if the array is able to run at its current version, you could consider continuing to use it in production until replacement parts or third party maintenance costs get too high.  I know of several EOL 7-mode systems still running ONTAP 7.x just fine, better than being melted down for scrap or used as paperweights!

AlexDawson

Having several times stuck pieces of paper under NetApp controllers, I cannot recommend the FAS2240-2 as a paperweight - its lack of handles makes it very difficult to move. Likewise the FAS2240-4's handles are very thin and not ergonomic. The most ideal paperweight in my view is the FAS3200 series of controllers.

🙂

Public