ONTAP Hardware

root aggr disks failed and can't boot

sjuma76

Hi All,

I have a single controller that suddly all the aggr0 disks failed and now can boot to maintgance mode, and I can see that the aggr1 which contains my data is still online. can I install new disk and reinstall without wipping aggr1, we don't have a vaild support contract with Netapp so we can't get support from them, any help will be much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

aborzenkov
You can mark aggr1 as root in maintenance mode (aggr options aggr1 root); it will create empty volume AUTOROOT and mark it as root. You will need to reconfigure filer from scratch though (including entering all licenses), or restore content of root volume from backup.

It is rare that all disks fail at once, so it may give you chance to troubleshoot and recover your root aggregate though.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

aborzenkov
Do you have 7-Mode or C-Mode?

sjuma76

it's 7-mode

aborzenkov
You can mark aggr1 as root in maintenance mode (aggr options aggr1 root); it will create empty volume AUTOROOT and mark it as root. You will need to reconfigure filer from scratch though (including entering all licenses), or restore content of root volume from backup.

It is rare that all disks fail at once, so it may give you chance to troubleshoot and recover your root aggregate though.

sjuma76

thanks  a lot for this, I will try it and see how it goes with me. if I restore the root volume from backup will licenses be back or still need to enter them.

aborzenkov
In 7-Mode licenses are kept in root volume, so if you restore it it should restore licenses as well.
Public