ONTAP Hardware

trying to downgrade from 9.4 to 9.1

WetaDigital

I am in need of advice,

I am trying to downgrade from ontap 9.4 to ontap 9.1, I managed to get the ontap but when trying to upload and install I get the message below:

Node: ladoga1234-01
Software update started on node ladoga1234-01. Updating image2 with package 91P8_q_image.tgz.
Listing package contents.
Decompressing package contents.
Install Failed.
Failed to verify the signatures of the image. The image may have been corrupted.
Replace the image, and then try the command again.

Tried to get a new image and checked the communities but couldn't find anything helpful.

Thank you,

Mariya

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

paul_stejskal

Are you going straight to 9.1? I think you have to downgrade to 9.2 or 9.3 first, or do a multi-step downgrade. If you're stuck you might open a case.

Any reason to downgrade to 9.1?

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

TMADOCTHOMAS

I would try to redownload the image as a first step, but more broadly, be sure to read the upgrade/revert guide for 9.1 as there are a lot of caveats about how to go about doing a revert. I would actually recommend opening a case with NetApp and let them work with you through the process. I've never done one but if I ever had to I would definitely open a case.

WetaDigital

Hi, I tried reloading the image, also I have read the guide and it is pretty straight forward.

It is a brand new pair of nodes that needs downgrading so it can join the existing cluster. Accorting to NetApps guide there is no need for opening a case with them.

aborzenkov

If this is new controller, there is no point in downgrading; just install desired version from boot menu. Downgrade is needed when you want to preserve data.

You may want to clean up disks before to avoid issues with label mismatch; if you have 9.4 installed currently, boot menu offers it as well.

paul_stejskal

Are you going straight to 9.1? I think you have to downgrade to 9.2 or 9.3 first, or do a multi-step downgrade. If you're stuck you might open a case.

Any reason to downgrade to 9.1?

WetaDigital

The rest of the cluster cannot be upgraded beyond 9.1 at this point so to join the new nodes we need to downgrade them to that version.

WetaDigital

the multistep downgrade worked, thank you very much

SpindleNinja

What model FAS/AFF is this that was downgraded? 

WetaDigital

it's a FAS9000

WetaDigital

Hello,

According to the guide the install on boot works only for newer versions:

This menu option is only for installing a newer version of ONTAP software on a node that has no root volume installed. Do not use this menu option to upgrade ONTAP.

is it incorrect ?

Thanks,

Mariya

Ravi_Baci

need help to execute the steps at LOADER prompt to downgrade the ontap from 9.4 to 9.1

@aborzenkov wrote:

If this is new controller, there is no point in downgrading; just install desired version from boot menu. Downgrade is needed when you want to preserve data.

You may want to clean up disks before to avoid issues with label mismatch; if you have 9.4 installed currently, boot menu offers it as well.

Public