SnapManager to SnapCenter Transition

SCV against multiple vCenters?

Mrcombato

I wonder if it is possible to run one installation of the SCV appliance in one vCenter and then create resource groups against datastores/VMs in other vCenters and get full functionality?

I'm confused regarding this topic due I found some paragraphs in the SnapCenter Plug-in for VMware vSphere documentation 4.7, page 15 where it says:

Each plug-in instance supports only one vCenter Server. vCenters in linked mode are supported. Multiple plug-in instances can support the same SnapCenter Server...

But on page 21 in the same dokument it says:

If you plan to perform backups in vCenters other than the one in which the SnapCenter VMware plug-in is
deployed, then the ESXi server, the SnapCenter VMware plug-in, and each vCenter must be synchronized
to the same time.

Can anyone clarify this?

/MrC

4 REPLIES 4

RossC

Hi @Mrcombato 

As per our docs - https://docs.netapp.com/us-en/sc-plugin-vmware-vsphere/scpivs44_deployment_planning_and_requirements.html 

• You must deploy and register a separate, unique instance of the SnapCenter VMware plug-in for each vCenter Server.

• Each vCenter Server, whether or not it is in Linked Mode, must be paired with a separate instance of the SnapCenter VMware plug-in.

• Each instance of the SnapCenter VMware plug-in must be deployed as a separate Linux VM.

For example, if you want to perform backups from six different instances of the vCenter Server, then you must deploy the SnapCenter VMware plug-in on six hosts and each vCenter Server must be paired with a unique instance of the SnapCenter VMware plug-in.

Mrcombato

Thanks for your reply.

Is "instance" the same as one SCV OVA installation?

If so... can I then install two SCV instanses within the same vCenter as shown in the picture below where "SCV OVA A" takes care of backups in "vCenter A" and "SCV B "takes care of backups in "vCenter B"?

scv-question.png

RossC

Hi @Mrcombato 

I believe it has to be one OVA installation per vCenter Server, as per the diagram further down in that same documentation link.

Screenshot 2022-10-27 at 12.39.34 PM.png

One thing to note is I think you can likely achieve what you were asking, but based on the docs I would say it's not the ideal way of going about it. If in doubt one this please reach out to your local NetApp accounts team or partner whom can validate the deployment is supported.

Mrcombato

Ok thanks, I have now contacted my local Netapp account team. Will update this thread if I get an answer

Public