AFF

A700s QSFP+ connection via EX4550-32F switch doesn't work

CloudShareian

We are using a EX4550-32F x 2 switches stack with a QSFP+ Juniper modules in PIC 1 on both switches for connecting an A700s Netapp to the Data network. For the sake of the question I will address only one of the connections we currently have to the switches. 

We are using the following setup as advised by Netapp: 

CloudShareian_0-1721551373705.png

Node B is currently connected with only e0e to the 2nd EX4550-32F QSFP+ module, with a QSFP+-40G-CU3M cable (recognized by the Juniper switch) but shown on the Netapp as "CISCO-JPC", and configured on et-1/1/0 with access mode. A LIF is configured with an IP on e0e directly. 

The current status is that network port show command shows healthy status on e0e for Node B, right duplex, mtu etc.

Same is on the et-1/1/0 interface on Juniper.

But if I run the ifstat e0e command on Node B I see CRC errors accumulating on e0e (I don't see any errors on et-1/1/0 interface on the Juniper).

CloudShareian_1-1721552347723.png

My question is - what can be the reason for the CRC errors (that are probably the reason for the fact we don't have any connectivity on this LIF that uses this port) and what additional things should we check?
Our vendor states that all the hdw is compatible. 

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TMACMD

Yeah, my guy says this is on the switch end. I use those all the time on NetApp too Cisco switches without incident. To other switch manufacturers, not so much. Even Arista, it can be hit or miss depending on switch model and os revision. Using optics levels the paying field. Use vendor supported optics at either end and use a neutral fibre to connect them. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

TMACMD

Please show the rest of the ifstat output!

I’ve never had any good luck using twinax between any Netapp and a juniper switch. Pretty much always used optical transceivers on both ends. 

you could try:

turn off auto negotiation on both ends

forcing flow control to none on both ends

forcing speed to 40000 on both ends

forcing duplex to full on both ends

then physically remove the cable, zero the stats (ifstat -z -a) and plug the cable back in

if it doesn’t work, get APPROVED/SUPPORTED optics for both ends. 

twinax is great but doesn’t always work. It does require some bit of supportability in the code on both ends. 

I’ve seen customers get special twinax cables with each end programmed differently (like Cisco at one end and Intel at the other). 

CloudShareian

Thank for your for you comment! 🙏
We actually already ordered optical transceivers and cables to try that from our vendor because my theory was exactly that the cables we using are no good.

We will try your suggestion as soon as those arrive this week and hopefully it will solve our issue.

CloudShareian

Full 'ifstat e0e' for the port in question:

CloudShareian_1-1721564646252.png

TMACMD

It’s not the the cables are no good it’s that one or both ends (Netapp and/or switch) don’t have sufficient programming to support that cable. 

just curios, are you able to send a picture of the cable ends (with markings)? If not, no worries. The optics are the best bet in this case anyway

CloudShareian

Here are the cables used (both ends are the same):

CloudShareian_1-1721567395649.png

The A700s 40GbE onboard ports are known to work well with Cisco 40GbE Twinax, generally. It is most likely an issue on the switch side. You can consider using the switch vendor's supported CR4 cables or as others have suggested... go with optical (SR4).

TMACMD

Yeah, my guy says this is on the switch end. I use those all the time on NetApp too Cisco switches without incident. To other switch manufacturers, not so much. Even Arista, it can be hit or miss depending on switch model and os revision. Using optics levels the paying field. Use vendor supported optics at either end and use a neutral fibre to connect them. 

CloudShareian

Thank you for your help!
I will post our results when we have them.

Public