AFF

Git clone takes a long time

yyx

Seeking guidance!

Same host, same storage; Simultaneously providing IP san and NFS services
Git clone to NAS shared directory takes 9 minutes, to IP san lun only takes 20 seconds

yyx_0-1693395204231.png

yyx_1-1693395238136.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

elementx

Local (ext4, xfs, etc.) filesystem works much faster because it doesn't have to communicate back-and-forth for every single file.

The main downside is of course you can't share data with anyone that way. So using iSCSI may be fine if you need a local copy quickly, or if you can dismount the clone volume and let some other client mount it.

Years ago I used to do demos with Android source code and iSCSI and some users didn't even want to compare with their old approach - they were sure their workflow was faster 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

elementx

Local (ext4, xfs, etc.) filesystem works much faster because it doesn't have to communicate back-and-forth for every single file.

The main downside is of course you can't share data with anyone that way. So using iSCSI may be fine if you need a local copy quickly, or if you can dismount the clone volume and let some other client mount it.

Years ago I used to do demos with Android source code and iSCSI and some users didn't even want to compare with their old approach - they were sure their workflow was faster 🙂

yyx

Thank you for your reply
I understand that local is faster than shared.
I don't understand why it takes 10 times longer to get a GIT clone to NFS with a size of 1.4G compared to the local one. I haven't encountered a similar scene before, is this time difference normal?

elementx

I don't have your data at hand to try but it may be possible with small files.

I have all-flash ONTAP 9.12.1 and git clone from local flash disk to NFS 4.1 flash share takes over 3 minutes (Git directory has 1.1 GB and 70000 files).

With smaller files or HDDs, 10 min wouldn't surprise me.

Public