Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Can't Subscribe to an EMS Event in OCUM

TMADOCTHOMAS

I am running OCUM 7.1 and would like to subscribe to EMS events. I have successfully subscribed to sis.changelog.full, however I cannot use the same procedure to subscribe to wafl.vol.autoSize.done (I want to be alerted each time AutoSize is invoked). Any ideas? I am suspicious of the fact that this message is severity "INFORMATIONAL", but documentation doesn't indicate this is a limitation.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sgrant

Hello, I've also had trouble adding a second EMS event alert to OCUM, but finally found a workaround...

I found that if I...

1. Removed all EMS events from OCUM
  2. Deleted the ::event destination entry for the OCUM server
  3. Add ALL the EMS events I required in OCUM in one go, they were accepted with "Applicable to Cluster" YES.

If you attempt to delete the OCUM desintation, it may initially fail with the list of all the messages that are being used for routing (some wont show under the event route show command). Use the ::event route remove-destinations command to delete the destination for all the messages listed.

event destination delete OCUM.server.com

Error: command failed: Event destination OCUM.server.com is being used for routing message wafl.snap.create.skip.reason

event route remove-destinations -message-name wafl.snap.create.skip.reason -destinations OCUM.server.com

BTW, I realise in ONTAP 9.1 that the ::event destination and route are depreciated, however for the moment adding these EMS events through OCUM still adds an entry into the ::event route table.

Hopefully this may help...

Thanks,

Grant.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

madden

Hi @TMADOCTHOMAS,

Maybe try again because it works for me (OCUM 7.1 + ONTAP 9.1):

subscribe.png

And then I forced a vol to autosize and the EMS event was received:

received.png

You can also configure an alert directly from the cluster if you prefer; see KB000029091.

Cheers,
Chris Madden

Solution Architect - 3rd Platform - Systems Engineering NetApp EMEA (and author of Harvest)

Blog: It all begins with data

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO or both!

TMADOCTHOMAS

Hi Chris, thank you for replying to my post! Maybe the issue is I'm on 8.3.2 P10 instead of 9.x. I am aware that I can set it up directly on the filer which I've done, but it would just be nice to have it all centralized. I may just have to wait until we upgrade to 9.x later this year.

sgrant

Hello, I've also had trouble adding a second EMS event alert to OCUM, but finally found a workaround...

I found that if I...

1. Removed all EMS events from OCUM
  2. Deleted the ::event destination entry for the OCUM server
  3. Add ALL the EMS events I required in OCUM in one go, they were accepted with "Applicable to Cluster" YES.

If you attempt to delete the OCUM desintation, it may initially fail with the list of all the messages that are being used for routing (some wont show under the event route show command). Use the ::event route remove-destinations command to delete the destination for all the messages listed.

event destination delete OCUM.server.com

Error: command failed: Event destination OCUM.server.com is being used for routing message wafl.snap.create.skip.reason

event route remove-destinations -message-name wafl.snap.create.skip.reason -destinations OCUM.server.com

BTW, I realise in ONTAP 9.1 that the ::event destination and route are depreciated, however for the moment adding these EMS events through OCUM still adds an entry into the ::event route table.

Hopefully this may help...

Thanks,

Grant.

TMADOCTHOMAS

Thanks sgrant! I will try that.

TMADOCTHOMAS

To update this thread:

We recently upgraded to OnTAP 9.1. I followed sgrant's suggestion and it worked! Both events are now configured in OCUM. Thanks sgrant!

Public