Effective December 3, NetApp adopts Microsoft’s Business-to-Customer (B2C) identity management to simplify and provide secure access to NetApp resources.
For accounts that did not pre-register (prior to Dec 3), access to your NetApp data may take up to 1 hour as your legacy NSS ID is synchronized to the new B2C identity.
To learn more, read the FAQ and watch the video.
Need assistance? Complete this form and select “Registration Issue” as the Feedback Category.

Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Can you tell if dedup has run on the entire volume?

J_ABELLA

Is there a command or technique to indicate if dedup has traversed the entire volume?

We have a number of volumes that had sis enabled after it contained data and has only been run on data that was added after.  It would be nice to know if a volume hasn't had deduplication run against all the blocks.  I would like to ultimately produce a report using dfm as the where we might be able to save additional space, approximately 1000 volumes.

Thanks
James

5 REPLIES 5

THIFM

As far as I know, it's not possible or it's not an easy info to collect. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

J_ABELLA

Thanks Thiago, this has pretty much been my conclusion as well but I would think something should be available or a technique to have a good indication.  At this point I just flip through the enabled volumes and if they aren't getting at least 10% I use the Oncommand system manager and tell it to scan the entire volume.  I can only do this for about 4-5 volumes max at a time.

Thanks, James

AGUMADAVALLI

"sis status -l" will show when the last run and status of each volume, try this.

thank you,

AK G

AGUMADAVALLI

Put a script together with all volumes with the following commands

Once it’s running, you can check the status with:

sis status /vol/<volname>

After it’s finished running, you can see your space savings like this:

df -s /vol/<volname>

Run the script using the dfm at regular intervals and allow it send a email.

thank you,

AK G

J_ABELLA

Thanks Agumadavalli, SIS is and has been running for a few months in some instances but when some admins enabled they didn't run it against the entire volume to my understanding it only runs against new/changed data in the volume and not against every block until the scan entire volume is selected (aka sis start -s).  Unless I am missing something df -S only indicates what the compresssion savings are, I can't tell if it has run against every block in the volume.

James

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public