Been using Balance to monitor for over a year and just recently started getting this error a few of our nodes. This does not happen on each node, only a few. Some work just fine. We have rebooted the balance appliance, deleted and rediscovered the filers with the same result. These filers did work at one time, but have since stopped. We are only having issues trying to collect stats. The discovery of the filers is fine. We are running 22.214.171.124.9
What version of OnTap are you running? We just started getting this after upgrading to 8.1.3P3 and I've got a case with NetApp open for a resolution. We are running Balance 126.96.36.199 build 9 as well.
I'll post back once I hear from NetApp with a solution. Just for reference, here's how we arrived at the problem.
Is it just your 8.1.3P3 nodes that stopped responding? That may be the common component.
Unfortunately it was not just the P3 node. I thought that was the common component, but specifically...
Again we have other nodes at 8.1.3 and 8.1.3P1 and they work. None of the 8.1.3P3 work though.
Here's what I heard from NetApp:
There is a known issue with the changes in how ONTAP 8.1.3x handles performance queries. The relevant BURT is #738776 and the remedy is to upgrade OCB to the current release 188.8.131.52. Unfortunately, I do not have enough familiarity with OCB to quantify why the one partner is still reporting performance data. I do know that the change to ONTAP made it load sensitive- if the response to OCB requires too much resources (memory) ONTAP will send a different response. OCB 184.108.40.206 is not prepared for this behavior whereas the code in 220.127.116.11 is modified to accommodate.
To obtain the latest Balance version, 18.104.22.168, please log into the Support website and navigate to the software downloads
Please review the notes on this page prior to downloading and installing OCB.
The OnCommand Balance Installation and Configuration Guide and the Release Notes are also accessible via this page.
I'm going to upgrade Balance this morning and see what happens; I'll post back my results.
I just finished the upgrade and 22.214.171.124 seems to have solved the problem for me. I'm now getting statistics on all of our filers again. I hope the licensing change doesn't affect you too badly.