Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Extending Cache Tables to add non Netapp appliances to WFA

AYRES_MARK

Hello,

Just recently installed WFA into our lab environment and it looks a really nice and simple product.

I'm trying to prove out other filer types in it and I've been told that it is easy to expand the cache table to do this. I'd really appreciate if anyone has any experience or examples on how to do this.

Thanks in advance for your help

Regards

7 REPLIES 7

hland

Hi Mark,

do you have a central repository that holds the information for these appliances (similar to OnCommand/DFM for the NetApp environment)? If so, what database is it and do you have access to the database and know the table layout? Otherwise I'd suggest you wait a few more weeks until WFA2.0 comes out. It will allow you to fill cache tables via a script. So you can retrieve the necessary cache information via any way that can be scripted.

Regards

Hendrik

AYRES_MARK

Hello Hendrik,

Thanks very much for your rapid response.

A the moment we are looking to provide proof of concept on a non Netapp appliance. But ultimatley we wanted WFA to do the automation, so we would feed the information into it via a provisioning ticket.

Will go to WFA2.0 when it is out, but these releases have a hbit of slipping and time wise it's quite important to move forward.

Regards

Mark

hland

So do you have a central database that holds information about these non-NetApp devices (which appliances exist in the environment, how much free space do they have, ...)?

What information about the non-NetApp devices do you need in the cache for your specific workflows?

..- Hendrik

PS: Can't predict the future, but in the past the WFA team was pretty good in meeting release timelines 🙂

AYRES_MARK

I'm really looking for WFA to pass, device name, volume name and share name. Nothing more complex than that initially.

girirp

Hi Mark,

You can start without having cache. Please forget about filters and finders. Here is is example.

1. Any non-Netapp-Filer will give you an interface/command (similar to NetApp ZAPI or PowerShell command or Command). Eg., NonNetAppVolumeCreate which can take 2 or more parameters. Something like this, NonNetappVolumeCreate -device <device-name-ip> -volumeName <volume-name> -size <size-number> -shareName <share-name>

2. Now you can add the above in WFA's command set. WFA->Designer->Commands-> right click <new>. Simple PERL or PowerShell can be written. And deviceName, volumeName, sharenames are like input parameter.

3.your command is ready. The above command is ready to create a volume on a device (non-netapp-Filer)

4. Go to WFA->Designers-> workflows. right click and choose new work flow. In this new workflow choose the command which you have created in Step 2. Save it. Add input parameters ($device , $volume). Click Save

5. Click on Preview now. You will get user input window which can take device name, volume etc., You can run the command (execute button) and this will create volume on non-netapp-filer.

AYRES_MARK

Hello Girirp,

Thank you for your response.

I've created a simple command set with a few variables, when I go into the workflow piece it is tending to execute the variable in a different order. Is there a way to number them in the order that they need to be executed?

Thanks

Mark

girirp

Hi Mark,

You want user input (variables) to be in some order?

You can do that from 'Designer->workflow->(choose your work flow) ->Click on 'Preference' -> "user input" tab. Use 'up' or 'down' button to change the order.

Public