Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Feedback on NetApp System Manager 2.0R1

amritad

Hi,

Our team is very interested in the questions posted on System Manager functionality and your experience with System Manager.  Thanks for taking the time to share. Please  keep the questions and feedback on your experience working with System Manager coming.

Regards

The System Manager Team

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

amritad

Thanks for the feedback.

For the performance issue we have incorporated some fixes in 2.1. Please do try it out and let us know.

Regards

Amrita

View solution in original post

106 REPLIES 106

aborzenkov

From yesterday's customer installation

1. There is no way to unconfigure interface. During initial setup only e0M address was known, but there is no way to skip configuration of at least one other interface so we have to add fake IP. Later in SM I can "disable" it, but it still remains in /etc/rc and /etc/hosts; there is "delete" button but it never active. How is it possible to completely unconfigure interface in SM?
  2. During VIF creation round-robin and port-based load balancing options are not offered, though they are supported (8.0.2P6).
  3. Customer specifically requested to set preferred interface(s) for single VIFs on different filers to different switches; this is not possible.
  4. Configuration of interface looks like chicken and egg issue. During creation of VIF on the first head I have to select partner interface; but at this moment VIF that will be partner still does not exist on another head. May be I miss something obvious Can I manually enter interface name? Or just select from the list?

aborzenkov

The possibility to "check off" specific Notifications/Reminder would be handy. I am currently facing a system which does not use DNS and will never use DNS due to configuration requirements. So Alert to "Set DNS domain name ..." is pretty meaningless and basically informational noise.

avizlel

i am using system manager 2.0R1 in windows xp 64 bit and IE 8

when i want to see all filer qtrees , i get the list of the qtrees but the browser dont show me the scroll bar

can you advice me wha to do ?

karthikv

This appears to be a browser specific issue.

Are you seeing this consistently ?

Did you try on any other supported browsers?

( SM supported browsers

IE7 or IE8

Firefox 3.0/3.5/3/6 )

Seamusmcgirr

Controller: Version: 8.0.2 7-mode

OS Version: Windows 7 SP1, Enterprise, 32bit

Browser Version: Firefox 8.0.1, IE 9.0.8112

After reading in this forum that Firefox was faster than IE I switched browsers, but one thing that’s annoying me enough to switch back is that in IE I can cut & paste the names of fields e.g.  olume, lun, snap names, ...etc. this is not possible in Firefox. In fact I still fire up either System Manager 1.1 or Filerview to do large cut and paste operations for including in reports or for pasting into Excel. Is there any plans to enable field exports and just allow for  selection into clipboard.

thomas_glodde

Hi there,

- i´d like to select multiple snapmirror relationships and update, quiesce & break them, useful before or after a change/migration

- i´d like to see all attached initiators when creating an igroup and not having to manualy pasting the values from the command line

- i´d like to be able to create this volume with the gui:

vol create <volumename> -s none <aggrname> <volumesize>

snap reserve <volumename> 0

snap sched <volumename> 0 0 0

vol options <volumename> nosnap on

vol options <volumename> snapshot_clone_dependency on

vol options <volumename> no_i2p on

snap autodelete <volumename> on

snap autodelete <volumename> commitment destroy destroy_list lun_clone,vol_clone,cifs_share

qtree create /vol/<volumename>/<qtreename>

wrfile -a /vol/<volumename>/sdparams.conf space_reservation_new_lun = off

- i´d like to have proper snapvault integration (no snapmanager for X into oncmd integration) for standard fileservices

Kind regards,

Thomas

karthikv

Thanks for the inputs.

-Karthik

mortenmadsen

I really like system manager 2, but it is simple to slow:

1. some times committing changes to the filers takes several minutes, I see the problem a lot when I resize a volume (not deleting snapshots only change is the size of the volume), then it takes forever in the last step.
  2. I would like to request a general design change: please change the interface so that when you select a new menu it is displayed instantly and then the data will be loaded in the background. This will give the user a better sense of responsiveness. It is really frustrating that every time I select a menu I'm presented with a "loading" for 4-20 seconds. When creating a new volume, share, qtree etc. you normally don't even need to see the existing information, but you still have to wait for data to be loaded before you can press "create".

syedb

In some Windows machines, OnCommand System Manager 2.0 takes several minutes to log-in or load pages. This is due to a reverse DNS look-up bug in JRE (5092063) resulting in longer time to connect to storage controller.

Adding DNS information of storage controller in local hosts file may resolve this issue. Local hosts file in Windows XP can be found at "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc"

aborzenkov

Thank you for bug reference!

amritad

REpposting Syed's message :

In some Windows machines, OnCommand System Manager 2.0 takes several minutes to log-in or load pages. This is due to a reverse DNS look-up bug in JRE resulting in longer time to connect to storage controller.

Adding DNS information of storage controller in local hosts file may resolve this issue. Local hosts file in Windows XP can be found at "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc"

Please follow this workaorund for all performance related issues.

mortenmadsen

That is really not the problem, the problem is design of System Manager 2. Every "menu" waits for data before being displayed/activated. What I'm suggesting is like webpages with AJAX, load the "menu" instantly and populate data after, the same way that gmail or a lot of other webpages and applications do it. (it would not be useful if the user had to wait for gmail to load all emails before (s)he could compose a new email)

PS: I have tried the suggestion with the hosts file, but it is still slow.

- It would also be nice if filtering in columns searched all text in that column and not just the begin of the text. example:

Lets say I have 2 volumes called: "sql_dump" and "mysql_dump"

If I go to "volumes" and enter "dump" in the filter of the "name" column, it returns nothing, even though I have 2 volumes containing the text "dump"

If I go to "volumes" and enter "sql" in the filter of the "name" column, it returns the volume "sql_dump".

syedb

You have valid point about enabling create button when loading the page.

Regarding search functionality, Can you try "*dump*" ? This should return all object which has 'dump' in their names.

>>PS: I have tried the suggestion with the hosts file, but it is still slow.

Can you reproduce the slowness and send me the support bundle ?

You can get the support bundle using menu 'Help->Support Bundle'

mortenmadsen

Wild cards in the search string works great, thanks

The problem with the system manager "hanging" for several minutes is periodic, but the next time I see the problem I would like to send you a support bundle, but I can't generate one, when I select "Help -> Support Bundle" I get an error:

(website address: http://127.0.0.1:52094/supportBundleServlet/SystemManagerSupportBundle.zip)

HTTP ERROR 404

Problem accessing /supportBundleServlet/SystemManagerSupportBundle.zip. Reason:

NOT_FOUND