Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

How can I alert on Volume Autosize in Unified Manager 6.0?

TABER_BRANDEN

Hello,

In previous versions of Unified Manager there was an alert/alarm available for volume autosize events. How can I alert on this event using 6.0?

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14

adaikkap

Hi,

AFAIK, UM 6.0 doesn't have an alert for volume autosize or snapshot autodelete. Both of these events were generated via traps in UM 5.x for 7mode.

Regards

adai

TABER_BRANDEN

I can't get the event to work in UM 5.2 cluster mode either. Is this trap not even included for cluster mode devices? I need to find a solution to this.

JGPSHNTAP

Adai - You commented on that this talks gets generated via TRAPS.  Do you have the OID for this?

I'm running 5.2 7-mode and the alerting for autogrown volume didn't work

kryan

This will not work in UM 5.x Cluster-Mode until bug 681706 is fixed - currently no event is generated.   There is not yet any public information but you can track the bug here: http://support.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=681706

For UM 5.x 7-Mode, please see this Kb article:

How to configure DFM Alerts for Volume Autosize, Maxdirsize Reach, or Snapshot Autodeletion
https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=1011987

TMADOCTHOMAS

I realize this is an old topic, but have there been any updates on this?  We used traps to alert on AutoSize events in 7-mode, but for the new OCUM 6.2 in Cluster Mode we have not found a way to alert on this.  Is this feature going to be added back??

jasonpnnl

I need to know the same thing. Is there a way to alert when a volume autosize or snapshot autodelete action is taken? Or a way to monitor that it has happened after the fact?

TMADOCTHOMAS

Version 6.4 will finally add this feature back to OCUM, however it is still in release candidate status. Anyone know when it will be out of RC status?

TMADOCTHOMAS

Just to update this thread, I upgraded to OCUM 6.4 because of the following line in the Release Notes:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New informational events

New informational events are sent when configuration changes occur to Volume Autosize,

Volume Autogrow, and Volume Snapshot Autodelete settings.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately, they neglect to say (a) that OCUM 6.4 has no mechanism by which to alert on Informational events, unlike OCUM 5.x, and (b) that this only creates an event when the configuration changes, not when an actual Autogrow event occurs. So, unfortunately I am back to square one.

If anyone from NetApp Support sees this, please add the ability to alert on Autogrow events in the next release, as is already available in 7-mode (see below).

https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=1011987&locale=en_US&access=s

ADVUNIBN1

Are there any news for OCUM 6.4+ (7.0/7.1)?

Can anyone confirm that the informational event occurs in OCUM 6.4+?

TMADOCTHOMAS

We just upgraded to 7.1 and it's still not there, however I've found a workaround. You can alert directly on the filer with an EMS Alert. We've added one for AutoGrow and it works great. I'm now looking into hooking EMS alerts into OCUM which will effectively give me what I was looking for in the first place.

ADVUNIBN1

@TMADOCTHOMAS wrote:

We just upgraded to 7.1 and it's still not there, however I've found a workaround. You can alert directly on the filer with an EMS Alert. We've added one for AutoGrow and it works great. I'm now looking into hooking EMS alerts into OCUM which will effectively give me what I was looking for in the first place.

Thanks for your hint!

event destination show and modify for mail/snmp/syslog

event route modify  -message-name  wafl.volume.snap.autoDelete -destinations <dest>

Test

set diag

event generate wafl.volume.snap.autoDelete -values snap,vol,ext

TMADOCTHOMAS

Yep, works like a charm. I'm going to work on adding this to OCUM later.

TMADOCTHOMAS

FYI the one I added was actually wafl.vol.autoSize.done.

While the EMS alert works great, I would love to use the "Subscribe to EMS Alerts" feature in OCUM to alert off of this event. However, when I add it to the Subscribe dialog, the "Applicable to Cluster" column stays at "No". I've successfully added a different event, so it has something to do with this event. I've copied the name directly to ensure spelling is correct. Any ideas? I wonder if it's the fact that it's an "INFORMATIONAL" severity event. Maybe it doesn't work for those.

TMADOCTHOMAS

To update this thread, I was able to use the "Subscribe to EMS Events" for autogrow events after upgrading the cluster to 9.1P8 and OCUM to 7.2P1.

Public