Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

How to correctly permission a CIFS share? Do I have to have a QTree?

BYTEJUNKIE

I know I ought to be able to get this working, but I'm struggling and im not sure why.

Basic premise is that I've created a share and permissioned it up and I can't then change permissions, or even create a folder in it.

Volume:

/vol/ProjectData

/vol/ProjectData  as  \\netappfiler\Projects

inside OnCommand System Manager I've assigned a domain group for which i am a member as having full control.

I expected these to pass through as share permissions and for this to then allow me to set ntfs permissions from computer management on my 8.1 laptop.

so on the share:

Everyone - Read

Team-Name - Full control

open up windows 8.1 Computer Management, connect to another computer, connect to the Filer

When I try and save the changes I make to the NTFS permissions, I get access is denied.

I've seen this article https://www.pickysysadmin.ca/2012/04/27/access-denied-when-changing-ntfs-permissions-on-a-netapp-cifs-share-from-windows…

and i wondered if it was something similar. so i used Computer Management on xp and it came back with the same error.

Am I setting my shares up wrongly? Have I missed some super basic config concept out here?

I did however add a qtree to the Share and all of a sudden (inside the qtree) I could create text files and documents.

So have I misunderstood the way it works? If I want to permission at NTFS levels, do i need to build something like the following?

/vol/Volume/Qtree and then create a share at the Qtree level?

1 REPLY 1

yashnamanetapp

I am also facing same issue.. Can anyone have ever fixed it?

Public