Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

I can't install OnCommand on my new PC

basilberntsen

I just got issued a new 64 bit laptop at work which has 32 bit java installed so I can run programs that aren't supported on the 64 bit version of Java. My old PC, a 32 bit windows 7 laptop, ran OnCommand 2.2 just fine. This new one won't let it install, telling me that it requires a 64 bit java runtime. Clearly that's not the case, because oncommand 2.2 is installed on my old PC with 32 bit java.

I can get it to install if I manually install java 64 bit, however that breaks parts of our ERP as well as Brocade's GUI and our non-netapp storage.

Is there a way for me to force oncommand 2.2 to install using the 32 bit java it was using on my old machine? Or am I going to have to run a VM for oncommand?

6 REPLIES 6

ERKANAKSOY

Hello,

System Manager 2.2 requires 64bit JRE if your OS is 64bit. The following is info from the System Requirements :

32-bit or 64-bit Oracle Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 7

• Installing 32-bit or 64-bit JRE depends on the operating system. If you have a 32-bit Windows

or Linux operating system, 32-bit JRE must be installed. Similarly, if you have a 64-bit

Windows or Linux operating system, 64-bit JRE must be installed.

basilberntsen

I'm looking for a way to force it to use 32 bit even if my OS is 64 bit. Otherwise I'll need a separate OS just for the Netapp GUI.

kryan

OCSM detects the bitness of the host OS and then requires the same bitness of JRE. 

Therfore 32 bit JRE was required on your 32 bit host OS while 64 bit JRE is required on your 64 bit OS.

Thanks,

Kevin

basilberntsen

So how do people run this software when they also need to run Brocade's, HDS's, and EMC's software, which doesn't work on 64 bit jre?

ERKANAKSOY

I have 3 different JAVA installed on my client PC which is running Windows 7 sp1 x64

1. 1.7.0.45 64 bit for System Manager
  2. 1.6.0.27 32 bit for some internal apps
  3. 1.5.0.11 32 bit for some other internal apps

basilberntsen

Yeah, I don't know what I was getting hung up on- now, when I download 7.11 64 bit, install it, and set it as one of the JREs in the java control panel, everything works. I think maybe the last time I tried this, it updated the java control panel or something...

Public