Community maintenance is complete. Thank you for your patience!

Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Loaded OnCommand Unified manager on Windows Server 2008R2 - GUI will not load!

boggsb9489

Obviously, no matter what problem I create, I am the only person in the world to do it.  There is no help anywhere.  No where on the internet can I find an anwer to several questions, and they all involve NetApp and Symantec NetBackup.

\

I have loaded the OnCommand Unified Manager on my Master Server in the Symantec Netbackup Environement. My original goal is to make the NetBackup software recognize the NetApp Device.  So I chose thisa installation for the DataFabric Manager, the provisioning, etc.

Now that I have the software loaded and installed to what I consider to be correctly, the GUI interface will not load.  It turns blue, freezes and gives me not output.  Can't seem to get an answer from NetApp or NetBackup.

At my wits end!

38 REPLIES 38

boggsb9489

Ravi and/or Kevin,

So if I start over, my question is this.  Can I pick any server to load the OnCommand Unified Manager on?  Does it have to be affiliated with the NetBackup and/or Netapp equipment, or will any server in my Domain work?

GLENYU5820

Hi Bill,

May I ask you if you want to use NetApp storage as advanced disk storage, so NBU can dump the backup data to it?

Thanks

Glen

boggsb9489

Hi Glen,

That's exactly what I want to do. I have so much free space and I want to utilize it, Any ideas?

thanks,

Bill

GLENYU5820

Hi Bill,

How did you present the NetApp storage to NBU master/Media server?

I am able to do so via FCP.

Thanks

Glen

boggsb9489

Hi Glen,

Okay, I need help.  Have had open cases with NetApp and Symantec for more than two weeks with NO response.  I honestly don't know how to introduce the two to each other since none of the software or protocols is working.  OnCommand Unified Manager will not work, the NBU Plugin does not work and the process I choose to make Symantec NetBackup recognize the 2240 has not worked.  I thought Data Fabric Manager might work, but we're using copper, not fiber.  We used ISCSI initiators before but wanted to evolve over to NFS.  Where does the DFM need to be loaded?  Where does the OnCommand (5.1)  need to be loaded?  I have a Master Server and 2 Media Servers.. All my local storage is utilized and I really need the reserved storage on the NetApp device to continue doing backups.  Any suggestions or a How-To-Guide would be much appreciated!

Bill

GLENYU5820

Hi Bill,

What OS do you use for master/media server?

Forget about all OnCommand s/w for now, just use NBU as brian of backup, and 2240 as storage unit to NBU.

The NetApp storage needs to be mounted/mapped to your media server, then use NBU GUI to create storage unit against to it. see below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRqk0dA0pSY

If NFS/CIFS protocal does not work for you, then FCP definately does.

Thanks

Glen

GLENYU5820

Hi Bill,

Just realize you are using windows 2008R2 from the topic of this thread.

If you use file protocal, create a cifs volume from NetApp, then map it at your media server, then follow the youtube to configure it at NBU.

If you use block protocal, then the new storage can be added as drive letter, then follow the youtube.

Thanks

Glen

JOSH_BRANDON

Glen,

Wouldn't Bill need CIFS protocol licensed on the 2240 to accomplish this??  From the OP, I thought that he mentioned that the filer was only configured for NFS...

Edit: The NFS isn't mentioned in the original post, but in response to Kryan.

GLENYU5820

Hi Joshua,

Yes, he needs licenses for NetApp and NBU for advanced disk storage too.

Hi Bill,

What licenses do you have? NFS will not work with windows.

Thanks

Glen

boggsb9489

Hi Glen,

Have the capability and licensing to do CIFS, NFS or ISCSI.. Used ISCSI with the older 2040, but the volume set up for me is currently in NFS, but can be made CIFS.

Thanks so much, I will watch the video and see what can I can learn.

Bill

boggsb9489

Glen and Joshua,

Watched the videos and copied every movement, but have several questions since mine did not work.

In the video, Zeus must be serving as the Master Server and the Media Server.

When he went to set up Advanced Disk Storage, he had no other servers to choose from and the Wizard asks for a media server to configure advanced disk and eventually the Disk Pool.

I don't understand -  I do not want to use my media server for any more storage.

I have my Master Server that backs up catalogs only.

I have the media server that I was forced to push storage too as well.

I have a third server that I called NBU Temp Storage that I set up as a media server and a storage unit.

So, why would I want to use any of these for Advanced Disk storage.

Additionally, I am on 7.5.0.5 and my screens were a little different than his.

When I choose Storage Server Configuration and the Wizard starts, I choose Advanced Disk

When I click next, the Storage Server Name (not shown on the video) is greyed out and I can not edit this

Storage Server Type shows Advanced Disk and the only option I can manipulate is the Media Server (so I have a drop down with a list of all three of my media servers)

Regardless of which I choose, my system will not create the storage system - I get a "cannot connect on socket" error

There has to be a step I am missing or should have configured before.

In answer to your earlier question-

Our current configuration set up for me is NFS - but you said NFS won't work with Windows

We used to have an ISCSI connection, but when Netapp came to setup the new 2240 we broke that connection

So, overall, my Netapp Device is out there, I can ping it from my Master Server, but what configuration changes or wizard do I need to use in Netbackup to see that device, regardless of the protocol I use.

I can use and am licensed for CIFS, NFS, FCP and others but this is all straight copper, through a closed network on the LAN?

Thanks so much,

Bill

GLENYU5820

Hi Bill,

Let's take step by step.

1. Are you storage admin or NBU admin?

2. We need to get NetApp storage present to your master or media server as dirve letter Z: for example first. Which is easier for you iSCSI or CIFS?

3. There is basic disk and advanced disk from NBU,there are some features differences. Let's consider this after the storage is presented.

Thanks

Glen

boggsb9489

Hi Glen

1.  I am primarily NBU Admin, but deal with the storage side as well

2.  We can go back to ISCSI or we can use CIFS.  Currently, it is set up as NFS, but changing is no problem

3. Basic Disk or Advanced Disk...I am familiar with both, but still don't see how I am supposed to present (key word) the Netapp Device to Netbackup!

4.  Do I need to create a separate storage unit?

5.  Do I need to create another media server (namely the Netapp Appliance)?

6.  All data, even on the White Paper refer to Advanced Disk, for example, being multiple disk volumes presented as a single storage pool on a Media Server

providing dynamic storage allocation.     (If it is presented on a Media Server, what role does that Media Server play)?   This is crucial because my media servers currently are all backup storage devices (Basic Disk - Disk to Disk Storage) and are all almost full!

This is why I've always assumed that I need to use Open Storage since I want to write to a third party appliance.

GLENYU5820

Hi Bill,

1. Please setup iSCSI connection to one of your media servers. I remember you said you like master server to handle netapp storage, if so, make your master server as media server as well. Don't need create a new media server just for netapp.

2. Create a volume at the NetApp side, are you using 7-mode or c-mode?

3. You need SSO license from NBU in order to use advanced disk.

4. After going throught NBU storage setup, it will create a storage server at your media server, then storage unit ... you can name the storage unit as netapp appliance.

5. You media server will play a role of master server slave to move the data from network port to the storage unit this media server can see. If your media server does not have bandwidth of resource, you can create a new media server.

To me, you need to get the POC work first before making new investment.

Thanks

Glen

boggsb9489

Hi Glen,

1.  Master Server is already a Media Server, so good there!

2. Volume is already created on the NetApp side (working on ISCSI connection)

3.  SSO lIcense is good

Working on ISCSI portion ...will get back to you!

Bill

boggsb9489

Hi Glen,

Sorry to bother you again.   The ISCSI connection that I had to NetAPP3 is still in place and connected, even though NetBackup is, for some reason, not backing up to this device anymore.

Can I still use this ISCSI connector (initiator) and just change the IP address for the destination or do I need to create a new ISCSI initiator?

Bill

boggsb9489

Hi Glen, Status Update:

ISCSI Configuration is set.

Now how do I make NetBackup mount it, recognize it and/or write to it

Bill

boggsb9489

Drive does not map!

boggsb9489

Hi Glen

Got the ISCSI initiator right and the drive mapped.....What do I do now (which steps do I take) to make Netbackup pick it up?

Have tried creating a storage server, a new storage unit and a disk pool.  Must be using a wrong option somewhere because it does not present the volume as accessible.

Thanks,

Bill

Thanks,

Bill

boggsb9489

OK Crazy as it is, without any of the Configuration working, I created a new policy, told it to write to the new volume, and it works...Makes no sense!

Bill

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public