Community maintenance is complete. Thank you for your patience!

Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Making a WFA Command fail, when an error is detected when Command is run within a WFA Workflow

RickStratton

Looking for best/recommended way to get a WFA command to fail, when executed in a workflow, and some part of the PowerShell code within the command errors out. I am using PowerShell in my WFA commands, and I use try/throw/catch setup for issuing commands to a non-netapp storage device, and analyze the return from the storage system, and I have seen times when I get an error, but the WFA command reports back to the calling WFA Workflow, that the command completed succesfully.

I am a Powershell novice, so I suspect it's something I'm doing wrong within my PowerShell script.

Here is an example output from a WFA command when run within a WFA Workflow:

15:18:58.019 INFO [IBM Start or Stop vdisk RC Relationship] ### Command 'IBM Start or Stop vdisk RC Relationship' in 'POWER_SHELL' ###

15:19:14.457 INFO [IBM Start or Stop vdisk RC Relationship] TRY: srcVdiskName was set by a previous Workflow step to: RSTRATTON_0066, so we will use RSTRATTON_0066, instead of user-inputted RSTRATTON_0066

15:19:14.472 INFO [IBM Start or Stop vdisk RC Relationship] TRY: rcSourceStorwizeSystemLongName was set by a previous Workflow step to: rclinvsvc01.corp.rc.test, so we will use that value

15:19:14.863 INFO [IBM Start or Stop vdisk RC Relationship] srcSystemhostkey is now set to: 9e:d5:75:15:74:8b:67:04:85:bf:f5:ec:b2:7d:bb:60

15:19:14.894 ERROR [IBM Start or Stop vdisk RC Relationship] The expression after '&' in a pipeline element produced an object that was not valid. It must result in a command name, a script block, or a CommandInfo object.

15:19:14.910 INFO [IBM Start or Stop vdisk RC Relationship] TRY: rcTargetStorwizeSystemLongName was set by a previous Workflow step to: rclascsvc01.corp.rc.test, so we will use that value

15:19:14.941 INFO [IBM Start or Stop vdisk RC Relationship] tgtSystemhostkey is now set to: 82:c8:2f:d8:6b:07:5e:37:22:c4:26:95:f4:c8:e2:b1

15:19:17.207 INFO [IBM Start or Stop vdisk RC Relationship] Credentials successfully provided for 'RC_IBM_Storwize'

15:19:17.223 INFO [IBM Start or Stop vdisk RC Relationship] Checking the CURRENT state of the RC relationship...

15:19:17.742 INFO [IBM Start or Stop vdisk RC Relationship] Checking the NEW state of the RC relationship...

15:19:18.476 INFO [IBM Start or Stop vdisk RC Relationship] Command completed, took 20457 milliseconds

1 REPLY 1

paragp

-ErrorAction Stop is used frequently in WFA commands to stop the command execution in case of failure. 

for e.g.

# Check if iGroup exists
Get-NaIgroup -Names $IgroupName -ErrorAction Stop

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public