Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Migrating Resource Pool Aggregates to a different System (Protection Manager)

jmmorrell

IHAC that is going to be migrating all aggregates that reside in a resource pool in Protection Manager to a new controller. They want to move the aggrs containing the backups to a dedicated backup controller.

We will be moving the disk shelves & aggregates to the new controller. My question is this:

How will protection manager recognize the old backup versions with a new controller name? Also how will it retain the baseline snapshot so we do not need to re-baseline the data?

eg: move aggrs from NASC1 to NASBACKUPC1, also move aggrs from NASC2 to NASBACKUPC1. The new backup system is a single controller, not an HA cluster.

TIA

1 REPLY 1

JLundfelt

I am also faced with this dilemma. I like how through NMC protection manager can move backup volumes between aggregates, but I don't see a clear way to change the relationships to start backing up to a new controller / resource pool. I may take the same approach as above, just moving the shelves / aggregates from one system to another, but the only article I've found that even begins to address that scenario is-

https://communities.netapp.com/docs/DOC-17852

That being said, I am fine starting new baselines, and creating new volumes on the new target, it just looks like new datasets / jobs need to be created in order to do so, since simply changing the Dataset to use a new resource pool doesn't seem to do the trick.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public