Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

NetApp OnCommand System Manager 2.0 doesn't work on Windows 2008 R2 Standard 64bit

mobility_support

Hello together

Please - can anybody help us with this problem?

We have a Management Server Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit englisch (with Service Pack 1) and we wanna use

this server also to manage our NetApp Systems .

So We installed the newest Netapp OnCommand System Manager 2.0.2 on this server.

After installation and reboot , we are not able to start Oncommand System Manager!

After double click on the On Command System Manager Shortcut (created from Setup) just nothing happened !

Our Server has also Java installed (32bit and 64bit version) and the Server has Internet Explorer 9 and Firefox installed.

But also with Firefox nothing happened if we start Oncommand System Manager.

What can we do to solve this problem?

Thank you for your help.

Benjamin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

PETERSAND

I had the same problem and changed the compatibility mode to Windows XP SP3, and then it worked.

Regards

Peter Sandberg

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

amritad

Hi Benjamin,

Could you please check if all the executables ( SystemManager.jar file) are there in the install directory after reboot?

Regards

Amrita

amritad

Also some more information that will help:

1.               Could you launch OCSM immediately after installation (before reboot)?
2.               Is the scenario seen only after reboot?
3.               What was the earlier version of OCSM running on the machine? If any?

mobility_support

Hello Amritad

1.) No - I could not launch OSCM after installation before reboot . OSCM didn't come up after I started the EXE.

2.) Scenario is the same after reboot.  OSCM dont starts.

3.) The Version 2.0 R1 worked fine on this System.

Thanks for your help.

Benjamin

amritad

Hi,

Could you please check the following :

1) Check if the Systemmanager.jar & other files are installed in the installation Directory. If present try launching SM using cli and see if it works for you if that does not work try the following

2)Uninstall SM-2.0.2

- goto installation directory & delete all the file

- Do a fresh install

- try launching OCSM

Regards

Amrita

amritad

Hi,

To clarify this further :

1) Option-1:

- Check if the Systemmanager.jar & other files are installed in the installation Directory

- If present then try launching OCSM using the below command from the installation directory:

installation Dir> java -jar SystemManager.exe

2)Option-2

--------

- Uninstall SM-2.0.2

- goto installation directory & delete all the file

- Do a fresh install

- try launching OCSM

REgards

Amrita

mobility_support

Hello Amritad

I tried all your Options you recommend for us.

Option 1 and Option 2 did not bring the solution for us.

Netapp System Manager still don't start and dont come up if we start it . 

We have another System who is installed exatly same, and on this system it works well.

Thank you for your help.

We 're thinking about to reinstall the wole server, but its a lot of work . 

Regards

Benjamin

mglanville2

Uninstall Java 7

Install Java 6

Or just install Java 6 and put a wrapper around it so it launches the java6 java.exe -jar "SystemManager.jar"

That resolved it for me.

With all the bugs so far, OCSM seems like it is being developed by a team that needs to have some more current platforms to test on..

The software uses Jetty-6.1.24... A quick search says that was released in 2010, and  EOL'd in January 2012, the current release is version 8!

OCSM does make Netapp management better, but some of the bugs... oh my..

Also, why is version 2.0.1 even available to still download!!!

-Matt

mobility_support

Hello Matt

Cool  !
You answer solved our problem !

We completely uninstalled all Java 7 installations on that server - uninstall 32bit and 64bit JAVA7.

After this we installed Java 6  32bit and new installed OnCommand System Manager 2.0.2

Ant it works ! !

Thank you very much for your help and support.

Regards

Benjamin

madden

I had the same error and learned the root cause is related to IPv6 supported added in java 7 and the lack of that support in my Cisco VPN client.  Here is some discussion in a java forum: http://www.java.net/node/703177

I applied the workaround in the forum by creating a new shortcut to System Manager as:

Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe" -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -jar SystemManager.jar

Start in: "C:\Program Files (x86)\NetApp\OnCommand System Manager\2.0"

Icon: "C:\Program Files (x86)\NetApp\OnCommand System Manager\2.0\Application.ico"

Using the shortcut I can run System Manager 2.0.2 with the latest Java 7 u7 while my VPN is active.

A workaround is also requested in System Manager itself and can be tracked as NetApp bug id 626839.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Madden

NetApp EMEA

DMELSOMELETN

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for the workaround - it fixed the issue we were having!

Regards

Dave

madden

I also heard that a Microsoft windows patch fixes the issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2750841

I am told if you apply the Microsoft patch then Java 7 "just works" with System Manager + VPN.

PETERSAND

I had the same problem and changed the compatibility mode to Windows XP SP3, and then it worked.

Regards

Peter Sandberg

Public