Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

OnCommand: Limit set for number of entities managed by Express edition of DataFabric Manager server

ZARNOVICAN

Hi,

we are running a small installation (single-instance OnCommand managing one HA-pair). We have hit the following limit

# dfm event detail 1383

eventArguments           dfmScaleDownQtreeTotal=101&dfmScaleDownLimitReachedInfo=4&dfmScaleDownTreeLimit=100

eventCondition           Express edition of DataFabric Manager server recommends 100 Qtrees, managing 101 Qtrees.

eventDescription         Management Station: Express edition Limit Reached

eventSeverity            Warning

eventStatus              reached

eventType                dfm.scaledown.limit

It was caused by Openstack driver, creating one Qtree for every LUN. Which I was not aware at the time of OnCommand installation. Nor, that there is qtree limit in Express edition.

So..

Can I see somewhere the list of limits in Express edition and their values ? Can I edit or up their thresholds ?

Silence the warning as shown on thread 15220 ?

Or is it easier just to switch to Standard edition (if possible without a re-install) ?

Installed DFM is OnCommand Core & Host package, 7-mode, Express edition (NTAPdfm-5.1-15008.x86_64) on 64-bit Redhat-like Linux.

Thanks for help,

Brano Zarnovican

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

adaikkap

Hi Brano,

Here is the cli to convert/upgrade an existing express edition to standard.

[root@vmlnx ~]# dfm database upgrade standard help

NAME

standard -- Upgrade Express edition of DataFabric Manager server to Standard edition of DataFabric Manager server.

SYNOPSIS

dfm database upgrade standard [ -b <Yes>|<No> ] [ -f ]

DESCRIPTION

-b: specifies if the database backup should be taken or not before the upgrade.

If not specified, an interactive message would be displayed to make the choice.

-f: if specified it is assumed that the user confirms the upgrade operation.

If not specified, an interactive message would be displayed to confirm the upgrade.

[root@vmlnx ~]#

Regards

adai

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

adaikkap

Hi Brano,

The Capabilities/limitations of Express Editions are documented in the Install Guide.

Following are the links to the same.

https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMP1113536/html/html/GUID-D26027EA-0DC9-4C7B-B9AD-7226D401CD0F.html

https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMP1113536/html/html/GUID-7C1D77DF-30F1-4086-B879-A3E6503086B0.html

But unfortunately this doesn't give the number of objects that it can monitor with respect to qtree, volume lun etc.

If I remember correctly its possible to convert express to standard edition by doing an upgrade and selecting the edition as standard. But since that you are already in 5.1 and there is no other version to which you can upgrade to my suggestion would be the following.

1. Create a dfm backup of the current express edition by running the following cli dfm backup create.
  2. Install dfm 5.1 as standard edition.
  3. Restore the backup taken in step 1 in the server where dfm is installed as standard edition in step 2.

Mean time I will try to find if there are some cli to convert the existing express dfm to standard with out upgrade.

Regards

adai

adaikkap

Hi Brano,

Here is the cli to convert/upgrade an existing express edition to standard.

[root@vmlnx ~]# dfm database upgrade standard help

NAME

standard -- Upgrade Express edition of DataFabric Manager server to Standard edition of DataFabric Manager server.

SYNOPSIS

dfm database upgrade standard [ -b <Yes>|<No> ] [ -f ]

DESCRIPTION

-b: specifies if the database backup should be taken or not before the upgrade.

If not specified, an interactive message would be displayed to make the choice.

-f: if specified it is assumed that the user confirms the upgrade operation.

If not specified, an interactive message would be displayed to confirm the upgrade.

[root@vmlnx ~]#

Regards

adai

ZARNOVICAN

Hi Adai,

thanks for the quick response ! I'm going to try that "dfm database upgrade standard" as soon as I get a maintenance window. That's exactly what I was looking for.

I will report back if it worked.

Thanks again,

BranoZ

ZARNOVICAN

Update to Standard edition worked. The whole process took about 30s.

# dfm database upgrade standard

Your server would be upgraded to Standard edition. Please make sure that

the machine meets the hardware and software requirements of Standard edition.

Are you sure you want to upgrade your server now?

Please respond with either 'yes' or 'no':yes

We recommend that you back up your database before upgrading.

You may skip this step if you already have a recent backup.

Would you like to back up your database now?

Please respond with either 'yes' or 'no':no

Updating global options and monitoring intervals.

Configured Standard edition.

I did a precautionary backup before.. and DFM restart afterwards (just in case).

Thanks,

BranoZ

Public