Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

OnCommand System Manager 2.1 for Mac OSX

amritad

Disclaimer on OnCommand System Manager 2.1 for Mac OSX

============================================================================

We currently do not officially support Systems Manager on the Mac OSX Platform.

However, we do have a build (based on the current Systems Manager build) that will run natively on a Mac OSX platform.

This will be supported on a best-effort volunteer basis via the communties. There is no engineering or NGS support for this build.

There will be no guarantee for support nor commitment to providing an OSX based client in future releases.

============================================================================

Thanks for supporting System Manager.

31 REPLIES 31

kunalm

System Manager 3.0 build for Mac OSX is now available at http://support.netapp.com/NOW/download/tools/ocsm/

Thanks

Kunal

lonny_sivey

I am running a 7-mode system with 8.0.2P4 which is not supported in System Manager 3.0.  Where can I find older versions of System Manager for OSX?  The only download I have been able to find is the 3.0 build you mention above.

yannb

SM 3.1 supports ontap versions from 7.3 to 8.2, as far as I know, and according to what the IMT says.

I used the SM for Mac version available here but it should be the same with the one on Tools Chest

lonny_sivey

The Windows and Linux variants of System Manager do not support 8.0.2P4 according to there docs.  I was assuming the OSX version was the same.  Is that not correct?

OnCommand System Manager 3.0 for Windows shows this under system requirements:

For storage system running clustered Data ONTAP, System Manager supports the following versions:

• Data ONTAP 8.1.2 and 8.1.3
  • Data ONTAP 8.2

For storage system running Data ONTAP operating in 7-Mode, System Manager supports the following versions:

• Data ONTAP 7.3.7
  • Data ONTAP 8.0.4 and 8.0.5
  • Data ONTAP 8.1.2 and 8.1.3
  • Data ONTAP 8.2

yannb

Sorry for the confusion, it looks like you're right, it is very visible in the matrix (http://support.netapp.com/matrix/).

Did you try that anyway ? I'm not sure it is just not supported but working, or really not working.

So, you can download 2.0.2 for linux here : http://support.netapp.com/NOW/download/software/systemmgr_lin/2.0.2/

It is not too hard to make it run on OSX, so...

First, get rpm2cpio here : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1760713/rpm2cpio

Basically, you need to transform the RPM to CPIO, you do this from Terminal :

$ rpm2cpio sysmgr-setup-2-0-2-linux.rpm > sysmgr-2.0.1.cpio

Then you extract the CPIO archive :

$ cpio -id < sysmgr-2.0.1.cpio

Then you manually run System Manager :

$ cd opt/NetApp/oncommand_system_manager/2.0/

$ java -jar SystemManager.jar

Then if from another terminal window you look into the SystemManagerLaunchURL.txt file in the same folder, you get the URL that you can copy and paste in Safari.

Now, I realize it can be very technical for most people but at least this is a way to run old versions (and new ones as well for that matter) on Mac OS X.

lonny_sivey

That's good information.  I'll give that a go.  If it doesn't work out, I can just go with the 3.1 RC1 code and stick with command line to manage my older 7-mode systems.

jaherring

There is no SystemManagerLaunchURL.txt in the install - so when I try to launch it it just complains it can't find firefox etc.

How should this be launched?

yannb

Like kunalm mentioned, please try the current release of SM first, and maybe report what's wrong

SystemManagerLaunchURL.txt will not exist until you actually run System Manager with the java command mentioned just above it.

If you say that you have a version of Ontap not working with the latest SM, I'll provide an easier way to run old SM version on the Mac, but it'll take a few day for me to set that up.

Best regards,

kunalm

Did you try using the Mac version of 3.1 available on toolchest with your 7-Mode 8.0.2 system? Though not thoroughly qualified with 3.1, its should work just fine.

lonny_sivey

I have tried 3.1, and it seems to work OK.  After the install I was getting an annoying window that said, "Unable to launch the browser. Ensure the path 'null' is correct and try again."  I asked my co-worker that has had this working for a while to show me his SystemManager.config file and it had /bin/date specified for the browser instead of null like mine.  After changing that, the problem was gone.

yannb

Yep, the version I mentioned here shouldn't have that problem

Public