OnCommand System Manager 3.1.1 will not start

tjcarst

Windows 7 64-bit

Java JRE 1.7.0_67

IE 10

Chrome

Firefox

New install.  Reboot after install.

Have tried changing default browser.  No errors on screen. 

This was in the Application logs:

Source:  SharpShell

BoxContextMenuClient: Query Context Menu for items C:\Program Files\NetApp\OnCommand System Manager\SystemManager.exe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

tjcarst

Nevermind.  My system has an AMD chip.

I wish the apps were more compatible with other things.

I have some apps that won't work with Java 7.  Now I have to go back to Java 7.  And now I need a new system for managing NetApp *sigh*

Coming to the conclusion that everything I add to my environment requires a standalone management station.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

tjcarst

Nevermind.  My system has an AMD chip.

I wish the apps were more compatible with other things.

I have some apps that won't work with Java 7.  Now I have to go back to Java 7.  And now I need a new system for managing NetApp *sigh*

Coming to the conclusion that everything I add to my environment requires a standalone management station.

hariprak

Hi,

You can check the following steps,

1.  Application launch failure – check for supported browser.

2.  In case of blank screen during application launch, that is, the browser launches but the application will not load – check for the JRE version, whether JRE is installed or not, check for a supported browser,      and check for error messages in the application installation dir, that is, bootlog.log. Alternatively, check in the users home directory for the presence of Oncommand System Manager for appropriate permissions.

3.  In case the application has been installed once and then reinstalled, check for JRE versions.

4.  When there are user-specified dedicated ports for OnCommand System Manager and if OnCommand System Manager is not closed properly, an application launch failure might occur. To fix this, identify  the   java process in use. Reboot the client machine that will clear the zombie process.

5.  During installation, if the creation of a desktop icon fails or it is not possible to launch the application by clicking on the desktop icon, launch the application by double-clicking SystemManager.exe or by    running the java -jar SystemManager.jar in the command prompt. Both SystemManager.exe and SystemManager.jar are present in the installation directory.

6.  Application launch failure with error:
       Port is in use by other application
    During installation, if a static port number is specified to launch the OnCommand System Manager and while launching the application, if the port is used by some other application, then the launch will fail. Uninstall the application and then re-install by specifying the port that is not used by any other application or select the automatic port selection option for OnCommand System Manager to select a free port.

7.  Application launch failure with the following error:
    'Error while starting Jetty java.net.SocketExpection: denied: listen'
    Add the following values for a new Windows environment variable in the Advanced tab of the System Properties window:
    Variable name: _JAVA_OPTIONS
    Variable value: -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true
    Then, restart OnCommand System Manager.

Thanks

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

atm0016

I had the same issue a few weeks ago. Try deleting the install file and reinstalling.

tjcarst

The problem was that I was trying to install on an AMD system.  The AMD chipset is not supported.

Thanks for the feedback.  Hopefully, it will help someone else who has already checked the pre-requisites. 

NikoDS

On my computer, win 8.1 64 freshly installed it wouldnt install because there is java 8 aldo java 7 is also installed, when I removed java 8 only java 7 32 and 64 it installed with no errors but now it is not starting at all, and it does not log nothingye in win logs... I try remove and reinstall even copy from another computer, nothingue... What do I do this is really a pain i cant dedicate a machine just to use system manager???

kkettner

New install on Windows 7 (Intel processor) is having the same issue. When I run "C:\Program Files\NetApp\OnCommand System Manager\SystemManager.exe" nothing happens. It just instantly dies.

andre_koch

For me it works when i select the "C:\Program Files\NetApp\OnCommand System Manager\SystemManager.jar" instead of the .exe for start.

kkettner

Thanks! That does seem to work!

CDutraApprenda

That worked for me! Thanks!

maverick

...thanks!

although it is quite incomprehensible to fathom why NetApp would goof up to not include instruction set for AMD chipset

grotesque!

KobyzPops

don't hold back 🙂

Oscar73

Thanks, it works!!! Man Wink

SteveAPMA

This works on Windows 11.  Thanks!

You might also need to adjust the Edge setting for 'Let Internet Explorer open sites in Microsoft Edge'.

How to use Internet Explorer in Windows 11? (thewindowsclub.com)

KobyzPops

Had the exact same issue.  Had both Java 7 and 8 installed on a fresh machine.  I had to make IE my default browser, as opposed to Chrome, uninstall Java 8, reboot, and reinstall 7.  Talk aboots a painz.

LewisC

I had a similar issue where OnCommand System Manager 3.x.x would say in IE that page could not be displayed. Turned out in IE 11 it needs to be in trusted sites and compatibility mode.

Public