Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

OnCommand Unified Manager (Core) - alerting CDoT

DHIMAN_TR

Folks,

We have deployed OnCommand v5.1 Core package in our environments managing 7 mode controllers. We are now in the process of evaluating OnCommand 5.1 to manage CDoT versions (Ontap 8.2).

I found that OnCommand Unified manager 5.1 (Core) is no longer available as a standard package. It is listed under the reserved packages under "To access a specific software". Going forward I have a few questions with alerting mechanism:

1. Is OnCommand 5.1 no longer a viable option to manage CDoT systems running Ontap 8.2

Given the version preference, OnCommand 5.1 or 5.2 the following query follows:

2. How the OnCommand alerting features are different for CDoT compared to DoT versions. The release notes does not provide accurate information.

3. Additionally are the alerts for monitoring Infinite CDoT  volumes and aggregates define in OnCommand 5.1 and/or 5.2; or is it supported only in OnCommand 6.0

Your inputs will be highly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Dhiman

7 REPLIES 7

adaikkap

Hi Dhiman,

Ontap 8.2 brought in a new licensing architecture and to monitor the same one would need OCUM 5.2 and not 5.1

Also OCUM 5.1 was a FCS release and did not get GA status unlike OCUM 5.2 which is a GA release.

To answer you specific questions see my response below.

1. Is OnCommand 5.1 no longer a viable option to manage CDoT systems running Ontap 8.2

Yes with OCUM 5.1 one cant monitor ONTAP 8.2 where as one can monitor any ontap version including 8.2 with OCUM 5.2

2. How the OnCommand alerting features are different for CDoT compared to DoT versions. The release notes does not provide accurate information.

They are the same kind of alerts  except for few alerts specific to cDot are added like lif migration and vol move, vServer etc and few in 7Mode like vFiler related are removed.

3. Additionally are the alerts for monitoring Infinite CDoT  volumes and aggregates define in OnCommand 5.1 and/or 5.2; or is it supported only in OnCommand 6.0

Discovery and Alerting of Infinite volume is supported in OCUM 6.0 for sure. IIRC its not supported in OCUM 5.x

Regards

adai

DHIMAN_TR

Hi Adai,

Thanks for your reply, it was really ovwewhelming!! In addition, I am looking for a document which compares the alerting schemes side by side.. i.e. the targets being CDoT vs 7Mode. This is a big move - to move alerting in OCUM from 7 mode to C mode. Would really appreciate if there are any Customer/Partner documentation explaining this in detail. The interop matrix does not help as they are generic to objects (logical/physical/products) and NOT features.

Kind regards,

Dhiman

TEJA_NETAPP

Hi Guys,

Need your help here. We are using OnCommand Core Package 5.1 to monitor our 7-mode filers. We are in the plan to deploy new filers with CDOT 8.2P6. My question is if we upgrade the core package to 5.2 version, can we monitor both 7mode and CDOT (8.2) filers? Or do we need separate licenses for 7mode and CDOT?

Also, can you let me know what are the necessary steps to be taken care of while upgrading from 5.1 to 5.2 version?

Thanks,

Raviteja.

kryan

Greetings Raviteja,

The last version of UM that allowed monitoring both cDOT and 7-Mode was 5.0.x.  UM 5.1 7-Mode will not allow you to add cDOT clusters - you must stand up a second UM instance to monitor cDOT. 

Ensure that you have a valid database backup (dfm backup create) prior to upgrading to UM 5.2P2.

http://support.netapp.com/NOW/download/software/occore_lin/5.2P2/

http://support.netapp.com/NOW/download/software/occore_win/5.2P2/

If you run into any problems during the upgrade, please be aware of this bug:

http://support.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=764854

Thanks,

Kevin

arunchak

HI Raviteja,

1. You will not be able to monitor cDOT and 7DOT both on the same DFM server installation. You will have to have a separate instance for cDOT monitoring.

2. While installing the installer prompts whether you want to manage c-mode clusters or 7-mode Filers, based on the input you provide that 5.x installation becomes either cDOT instance or 7DOT instance. So you can manage 7-mode FIlers only on 7 mode instance of 5.x and c-mode clusters on c mode instance of 5.x.

3. wrt License, you will have to contact your account team or the NetApp PSC. However as the installer remains same though the instacnce varies the license could be same, but you need to check with your accounts team.

4. It is recommended to take a backup before upgrade. Otherwise its a simple upgrade process.

Thanks,

Arun

TEJA_NETAPP

Thanks Kevin and Arun for your replies.

If I am planning to upgrade to Core Package 5.2 version do I still need two separate instances to monitor the 7mode and CDOT filers or one will suffice the monitoring of both?

Thanks,

Raviteja.

kryan

You will need two instances (one 7-Mode one cDOT) for any UM version higher than 5.1.

Kevin

Public