We have deployed OnCommand v5.1 Core package in our environments managing 7 mode controllers. We are now in the process of evaluating OnCommand 5.1 to manage CDoT versions (Ontap 8.2).
I found that OnCommand Unified manager 5.1 (Core) is no longer available as a standard package. It is listed under the reserved packages under "To access a specific software". Going forward I have a few questions with alerting mechanism:
1. Is OnCommand 5.1 no longer a viable option to manage CDoT systems running Ontap 8.2
Given the version preference, OnCommand 5.1 or 5.2 the following query follows:
2. How the OnCommand alerting features are different for CDoT compared to DoT versions. The release notes does not provide accurate information.
3. Additionally are the alerts for monitoring Infinite CDoT volumes and aggregates define in OnCommand 5.1 and/or 5.2; or is it supported only in OnCommand 6.0
Thanks for your reply, it was really ovwewhelming!! In addition, I am looking for a document which compares the alerting schemes side by side.. i.e. the targets being CDoT vs 7Mode. This is a big move - to move alerting in OCUM from 7 mode to C mode. Would really appreciate if there are any Customer/Partner documentation explaining this in detail. The interop matrix does not help as they are generic to objects (logical/physical/products) and NOT features.
Need your help here. We are using OnCommand Core Package 5.1 to monitor our 7-mode filers. We are in the plan to deploy new filers with CDOT 8.2P6. My question is if we upgrade the core package to 5.2 version, can we monitor both 7mode and CDOT (8.2) filers? Or do we need separate licenses for 7mode and CDOT?
Also, can you let me know what are the necessary steps to be taken care of while upgrading from 5.1 to 5.2 version?
1. You will not be able to monitor cDOT and 7DOT both on the same DFM server installation. You will have to have a separate instance for cDOT monitoring.
2. While installing the installer prompts whether you want to manage c-mode clusters or 7-mode Filers, based on the input you provide that 5.x installation becomes either cDOT instance or 7DOT instance. So you can manage 7-mode FIlers only on 7 mode instance of 5.x and c-mode clusters on c mode instance of 5.x.
3. wrt License, you will have to contact your account team or the NetApp PSC. However as the installer remains same though the instacnce varies the license could be same, but you need to check with your accounts team.
4. It is recommended to take a backup before upgrade. Otherwise its a simple upgrade process.