Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

OnCommand insight change name storage

Alberto19

Hi,

on data center some storage arrays changed name in compliance with new naming convention. OCI, will update the names on FC identity, or i need to perform change name manually. In case, how can i proceed?

There are 45 arrays...

Thanks in advance,

Best Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ostiguy

It sounds like you are looking at some manually identified storage arrays in the FC Identity view.

Anything that is manually identified in the FC or IP identify view will stay that way until you delete the identification.

Right click -> Delete Identification .

The pending changes will appear highlighted in yellow

Click the Update Changes button in the middle of the screen to commit the changes

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

ostiguy

You don't rename storage arrays in OCI, if they are discovered by a data source

OCI datasources have varied approaches for what they report for storage array name.

On some platforms, if you rename the array on the array itself, that will cause the array name to change in OCI.

On other platforms, like HDS HiCommand / HP Command View AE, if you rename the array in the software that OCI discovered the array by, the array name in OCI will change

Alberto19

Hi,

thanks for the support, but i see that some storage arrays have not changed name automatically, and in the "Audit" record, i see "Re-identification skipped".

So, how can i proceed; Waiting for automatic resolution, or i must re-identify the storage manually, with "Identify from file" action?

Thanks in advance,

Best Regards

ostiguy

It sounds like you are looking at some manually identified storage arrays in the FC Identity view.

Anything that is manually identified in the FC or IP identify view will stay that way until you delete the identification.

Right click -> Delete Identification .

The pending changes will appear highlighted in yellow

Click the Update Changes button in the middle of the screen to commit the changes

Alberto19

Ok, thanks.

i saw that in tab Storage Arrays there is some storage that it's not present in FC Identify tab, as others. Why this situation?

Thanks in advance,

Best Regards

ostiguy

Lets pretend you are bringing OCI into an environment where OCI has never been installed before.

Lets pretend you have installed OCI, and discovered 100% of the FC(oE) switches in the environment.

At this point, the FC Identify view is at its largest - nearly no WWNN in the environments are identified.

If you deploy a vSphere datasource, all of the WWNNs of all of the HBAs of every ESXi host managed by that vSphere will automagically disappear from the FC Identify view - because those WWNNs and WWPNs are discovered by the datasource.

If you deploy a EMC Clariion datasource, one row with 1 WWNN and some even number of WWPNs will disappear from the FC Identify view because the storage datasource learns of what the WWNN and WWPNs are.

So, in a perfect world, no customer has to identify any storage device manually in the FC Identify view, because everything they own is supported by OCI datasources.

The FC Identify view allows for identification of non-virtualized hosts, tape devices, and those relatively rare storage devices that OCI doesn't have a datasource for.

Alberto19

Many thanks for your suopport and coaching.

Best Regards,

Public