Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Oncommand deleted object still in the database

f_duranti

Hi all, checking on DFM database I see that there are really old data into it that have the "deleted" flag setup but are still into the database. There are also really old objects that don't exist anymore and in my view can be safely deleted (old storage that don't exist anymore or old volumes).

I see that there are sometimes really many of those items.... doing a dfm volume list -a return 7700 objects (volumes) while doing a dfm volume list return only 700.

My question is: can I delete those objects or they're needed by DFM in some way? Should they be automatically cleaned by DFM after a time period or they'll remain in the database indefinitely?

This is an example of some aggregate objects:

1009 itromfs22:aggr1-2008-11-04 12:07:37.000-1 AggregateunknownYes  dfmmonitor
1010 itromfs22:aggr1-2008-11-04 12:07:37.000-1.snapshot AggregateunknownYes  dfmmonitor
8212 itromfs22:aggr1-2010-03-08 00:04:49.000-1 AggregateunknownYes  dfmmonitor
8213 itromfs22:aggr1-2010-03-08 00:04:49.000-1.snapshot AggregateunknownYes  dfmmonitor
22234 itromfs22:aggr1.snapshot             Aggregate32_bit No                

Regards

Francesco

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hondasuschi

May this help

Solution

To avoid this behavior, when removing/deleting a volume from a dataset and DFM, remove it from the database as well. This is because DFM will assume that a volume deleted (in DFM) could be re-added later and could retain the historical data.
Execute the following commands to delete the Protection Manager volume permanently:
WARNING: Deleting Objects from DFM in this manner will remove them forever and will not retain historical data about the volume.
  1. dfm volume list -a (to get the IDs of the desired volumes)
  2. dfm service stop
  3. dfm service start sql
  4. dfm volume delete -f {ID of volume}
  5. dfm service start

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

adaikkap

We have this purge tool today that take care of cleanup all this. Dfmpurge which will remove all these stale instances but requires down time. The utility has 2 modes and gives the estimation of downtime required as well. In most cases it shouldn't take more than 30mins to cleanup.

Pls take a look at this video ( 3.43 Mins) and read the KB on how this tool works.

Video Link: DFM Purge Tool: How to Video

KB link:  https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=1014077

Link to tool chest: http://support.netapp.com/NOW/download/tools/dfmpurge/

Regards

adai

Public