The transition to NetApp MS Azure AD B2C is complete. If you missed the pre-registration, you will be invited to reigister at next log in.
Please note that access to your NetApp data may take up to 1 hour.
To learn more, read the FAQ and watch the video.
Need assistance? Complete this form and select “Registration Issue” as the Feedback Category.

Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Performance issue when provisioning qtrees in a dataset

REGIS_GARRUCHET

Hi,

IHAC where we have some serious performance issues when provisioning new qtrees in a dataset.

The DFM server is on 4 vCPU VM with 8 GB of memory. There is no contention on the ESX server.

DB size is about 100 MB

I tried to grow dbCache to 1 GB without no change in behaviour. I disabled PerfAdvisor with still no change in behaviour.

Web GUI and NMC GUI are very responsive and CPU is OK most of the time.

The DFM server monitors only 4 controllers. At the current time, there is only 2 vfilers, one only active. The active vfiler contains 16 data volumes (containing 25 qtrees each) managed in a dataset.

The dataset follows a DR Mirror then Backup Protection Policy without a single issue.

All snapmirrors are done once a day in less than 2 minutes

All snapvaults are done once a day in less than 15 minutes.

The only problem we have is when trying to provision a new qtree (or sometimes when changing the quota of an existing one).

When using the NMC GUI, it times out after some time and does nothing.

When using a dfpm CLI command, it works but it takes ages.

What I see in the logs: A Conformance Dry Run occurs immediately but nothing happens for 7-10 minutes, then the provisioning job is launched and done in a few seconds (vol creation, qtree creation, share creation, then creation of protection volumes when necessary). Then we have to wait 5-10 more minutes before the CLI is available again.

We don't see that on another dataset .

I think we will try to add a new dataset but it will add complexity while there is no need for a new one to manage snapmirror and snapvaults since they alway complete in a few minutes.

My question:

- is this behaviour normal or not since it is the only performance issue we with OnCommand and CPU is not full at all ?

- is there a way to at least minimize the time taken to edit existing qtrees ?

The dfm diag is attached.

Here is an extract from the conformance log show what happens when provisioning a new qtree (15 minutes):

Apr 19 12:06:02 [dfmserver: INFO]: [2576:0x10d8]: Dry run: action: Selected volume xxxx:/xxxx_Data16 from dataset node to process the provisioning request.

Apr 19 12:07:00 [dfmserver:DEBUG]: [2576:0x1104]: Conformance checker started scanning at Fri Apr 19 11:57:38 2013

Apr 19 12:07:00 [dfmserver:DEBUG]: [2576:0x1104]: Finished scanning dataset xxxx_Data with protection policy: DR Mirror, then back up, unresolvable tasks: 0, resolvable tasks: 2, resolvable-need confirm tasks: 0

Apr 19 12:14:21 [dfmserver: INFO]: [2576:0x1604]: Successfully exported path /vol/xxxx_Data16/PG-xxxx over CIFS.

Apr 19 12:14:24 [dfmserver: INFO]: [2576:0x1604]: Modified CIFS share PG-xxxx with permission Change for user Everyone.

Apr 19 12:14:24 [dfmserver: INFO]: [2576:0x1604]: Successfully modified share PG-xxxx with path /vol/xxxx_Data16/PG-xxxx.

Apr 19 12:14:27 [dfmserver: WARN]: [2576:0x5c0]: Starting a re-run of provision checker task for dataset: 1046

Apr 19 12:14:27 [dfmserver: INFO]: [2576:0x1604]: Running provision request on dataset 1046

Apr 19 12:14:27 [dfmserver: INFO]: [2576:0x1604]: Running conformance checker after executing provisioning requests

Apr 19 12:14:27 [dfmserver: INFO]: [2576:0x1604]: Dataset 'xxxx_Data' (1046) is busy in check and reserve run as conformance tasks are in progress. Deferred conformance run scheduled as username 'NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM' with user confirmation set to 1.

Apr 19 12:21:19 [dfmserver:DEBUG]: [2576:0x1718]: Conformance checker started scanning at Fri Apr 19 12:14:13 2013

Apr 19 12:21:19 [dfmserver:DEBUG]: [2576:0x1718]: Finished scanning dataset xxxx_Data with protection policy: DR Mirror, then back up, unresolvable tasks: 0, resolvable tasks: 1, resolvable-need confirm tasks: 0

5 REPLIES 5

adaikkap

Hi,

I havent heard this before. I suggest you open a case so that they can enable some debug logging to see why things are taking a lot of time/timeout.

Regards

adai

REGIS_GARRUCHET

Hi Adai,

in case, you would like to have a look: case # is 2004203882

Regards,

Regis

adaikkap

Hi Regis,

Your issue is same as Bug 714617 Pls see if you can get your case added to the same.

Regards

adai

REGIS_GARRUCHET

Thank you Adai,

I gave this information to the team.

Best regards,

Regis

REGIS_GARRUCHET

Thank you Adai,

will ask the customer to open a case about that.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public