Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

SNMP vfiler queries

GOTTMOS

We are implementing a ITSM solution where we scans the storage devices by SNMP for information.

What SNMP query should be send to get information from a NetApp physical filer for its vfilers?

And, should a cutom mib file be used in the application sending the query, or at the NetApp physical filer?

Regards,

/Anders Wollentz

5 REPLIES 5

adaikkap

Did you try with netapp mib available on the support site ?

Regards

adai

GOTTMOS

Hi,

Yes, but i dont get info of the filers. Perhaps i should send a specifik query for that?

/Anders

Message was edited by: Adaikkappan Arumugam

WAFLHERDER

Hi Anders,

The NetApp MIB - version 2.2 (download from the NetApp support site -> Downloads -> Utility ToolChest) defines a vserver table (one valid value of vserverType is "vfiler" (=3)) which contains for example:

vserverTable

VserverEntry

vserverIndex

vserverName

vserverUuid

vserverRootVolume

vserverAggregate

vserverNsSwitch

vserverNisDomain

vserverRootVolumeSecurityStyle

vserverLdapClient

vserverLanguage

vserverSnapshotPolicy

vserverComment

vserverAntiVirusOnAccessPolicy

vserverQuotaPolicy

vserverType

vserverState

vserverDisallowedProtocolList

According to snmptranslate the corresponding OIDs are as follows:

.iso(1).org(3).dod(6).internet(1).private(4).enterprises(1).netapp(789).netapp1(1).vserver(27).vserverTable(1)

.iso(1).org(3).dod(6).internet(1).private(4).enterprises(1).netapp(789).netapp1(1).vserver(27).vserverTable(1).vserverEntry(1)

.iso(1).org(3).dod(6).internet(1).private(4).enterprises(1).netapp(789).netapp1(1).vserver(27).vserverTable(1).vserverEntry(1).vserverIndex(1)

.iso(1).org(3).dod(6).internet(1).private(4).enterprises(1).netapp(789).netapp1(1).vserver(27).vserverTable(1).vserverEntry(1).vserverName(2)

Also defined is a vFiler specific table: vfTable. Its description is "Provide a report of per-vfiler general information".

The OIDs for this table look like this:

.iso(1).org(3).dod(6).internet(1).private(4).enterprises(1).netapp(789).netapp1(1).vfiler(16)

.iso(1).org(3).dod(6).internet(1).private(4).enterprises(1).netapp(789).netapp1(1).vfiler(16).vfilerIsLicensed(1)

.iso(1).org(3).dod(6).internet(1).private(4).enterprises(1).netapp(789).netapp1(1).vfiler(16).vfFilers(2)

.iso(1).org(3).dod(6).internet(1).private(4).enterprises(1).netapp(789).netapp1(1).vfiler(16).vfTable(3)

.iso(1).org(3).dod(6).internet(1).private(4).enterprises(1).netapp(789).netapp1(1).vfiler(16).vfTable(3).vfEntry(1)

.iso(1).org(3).dod(6).internet(1).private(4).enterprises(1).netapp(789).netapp1(1).vfiler(16).vfTable(3).vfEntry(1).vfIndex(1)

Hope this helps.

Yours,

Robb.

GOTTMOS

Hi,

Thanks,

The NetApp MIB - version 2.2 custom mib file is installed at the physical filer.

I tried to run these questions but did not receive any vfiler specific information from the physical filer when using snmpwalk:

snmpwalk -c snmp_community -v 2c -m .iso.3.6.1.4.1.789.1.16.2 ip-adress_of_netapp_physical_filer

iso(1).org(3).dod(6).internet(1).private(4).enterprises(1).netapp(789).netapp1(1).vfiler(16).vfFilers(2)

Regards,

/Anders

WAFLHERDER

Hi Anders,

The syntax of you command, with -m and an oid, looks a little strange to me.

This sequence worked for me:

1. Copy the NetApp MIB file to the managment host, from which the snmp commands will be run.

2. Export a shell variable MIBDIRS that contains the path of the directory containing the NetApp MIB file e.g.

shell_prompt% export MIBDIRS="/usr/share/snmp/mibs:/home/username/lib/mibs"

3. Note that the NetApp MIB imports other "core" MIBS. Commands such as "snmpget" will not accept NetApp MIB object names unless MIB definition files are accessible that correspond to those imports - hence the additional shared system path included in my MIBDIRS value.

4. Run a command like this to test:

shell_prompt% snmpgetnext -v1 -c public -m NETAPP-MIB hostname productVersion

NETAPP-MIB::productVersion.0 = STRING: NetApp Release 8.1.2P3 7-Mode: Wed Feb 20 19:56:22 PST 2013

5. Finally, get a table of vFiler information:

shell_prompt% snmptable -v1 -c public -m NETAPP-MIB hostname vfTable
SNMP table: NETAPP-MIB::vfTable

vfIndex  vfName  vfUuid  vfIpAddresses  vfStoragePaths  vfIpSpace  vfAllowedProtocols  vfDisallowedProtocols  vfState

1    vfiler0    "00000000"    9    1    default-ipspace    4    0    running

I didn't get any information from the vserverTable on this 7mode host, so I presume that this table is a cDOT construct i.e. probably this info. is only available when running in cluster mode ...

Hope this helps.

Yours,

Robb.

Public