Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

SVC, v7000, etc volume encryption and OCI...

ostiguy

We recently implemented a minor enhancement for the OCI IBM SVC datasource, which can discover SVC, v7000, etc.

We are now going to populate a boolean value on the volume and storage pool objects to let you know if they are, or are not encrypted.

If getting access to this enhancement early would make your life better, ping me at ostiguy at netapp dot com

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ostiguy

Hey Guarav,

This topic was about the IBM family of devices supported by the IBM SVC datasource.

However, we have recently implemented a similar enhancement for our cDOT Ontap datasource:

On OCI 7.3.5 and earlier (including 7.3.1+ sites running SP 5):

Only the volume object and storage pool in OCI has the isEncrypted boolean, and that was set to true based on the presence of NetApp Storage Encryption (NSE) - i.e, the aggregate was built of encryption capable disks and the feature was enabled. For volumes, the value was determined by the nature of the storage pool it sits on.

We have a datasource patch for environments running SP5, containing an enhancement that will likely ship as part of SP6 and future OCI maintenance releases:

Storage Pool - is Encrypted = True if NSE is in use

Internal Volume - is Encrypted = True if this FlexVol is sitting on an aggregate where NSE is in use OR if NetApp Volume Encryption is enabled at the FlexVol level

Volume - is Encrypted = True if this LUN is sitting on a FlexVol that is sitting on an aggregate where NSE is in use OR if this LUN is sitting on a FlexVol where NetApp Volume Encryption is enabled at the FlexVol level

If this cDOT patch interests you, I can get it over to you - send me a note at ostiguy at netapp dot com

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

gaurav_verma

Yes, definitely. 

I was looking for this for reporting purpose but as this flag is not yet available with my current OCI version so couldn't. But fortunitely found same flag in OCUM 9 table. Volume table has flag for volume encryption. 

Do let me know when it is ready. 

Thanks

ostiguy

Hey Guarav,

This topic was about the IBM family of devices supported by the IBM SVC datasource.

However, we have recently implemented a similar enhancement for our cDOT Ontap datasource:

On OCI 7.3.5 and earlier (including 7.3.1+ sites running SP 5):

Only the volume object and storage pool in OCI has the isEncrypted boolean, and that was set to true based on the presence of NetApp Storage Encryption (NSE) - i.e, the aggregate was built of encryption capable disks and the feature was enabled. For volumes, the value was determined by the nature of the storage pool it sits on.

We have a datasource patch for environments running SP5, containing an enhancement that will likely ship as part of SP6 and future OCI maintenance releases:

Storage Pool - is Encrypted = True if NSE is in use

Internal Volume - is Encrypted = True if this FlexVol is sitting on an aggregate where NSE is in use OR if NetApp Volume Encryption is enabled at the FlexVol level

Volume - is Encrypted = True if this LUN is sitting on a FlexVol that is sitting on an aggregate where NSE is in use OR if this LUN is sitting on a FlexVol where NetApp Volume Encryption is enabled at the FlexVol level

If this cDOT patch interests you, I can get it over to you - send me a note at ostiguy at netapp dot com

Public