The community will be undergoing maintenance soon, requiring Read-Only mode. Click to learn more.

Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Using OCUM Alerts + WFA for Smarter Autogrow

ssikorsk

While volume autosize has always been a useful ONTAP feature to ensure volumes never fill up --- most veterans would admit it's not robust enough in large storage environments because:

1.) It doesn't check aggregate space to ensure the aggr is not at risk by fulfilling this autosize request

2.) The maximum autosize ceiling complicates the equation

3.) There aren't a lot of controls in the growth trigger threshold

While cDOT 8.2 may change the game with % growth ceilings - I've always thought OCUM + WFA would yield a much more robust solution.

OCUM, upon triggering an alert for a volume crossing some defined threshold (i.e. 80%), should trigger a script that calls a REST API workflow that:

1.) Calculates a proper % to grow the volume based on volume size (i.e. 0-100GB volume grow +20%, but 1TiB+ volumes grow +5%)

2.) Checks Volume Grow from 1) + aggregate remaining space --> if < predefined threshold then do NOT grow volume and instead send hi-pri alert to email distro

3.) If > predefined threshold grow the volume by amount calculated in #1

4.) Send successful email to distro

Has anyone done such work (especially the part where OCUM triggers a script that calls a WFA workflow via REST) --- or would like to do it?!

2 REPLIES 2

ssikorsk

Hmm that's too bad - OCUM 5.2 definitely could trigger scripts upon a alarm trigger which was established around an event (i.e. Volume "Nearly" Full).  See the alarm/event section of:

https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMP1222473

I'm curious to see how you think WFA will trigger this.  It has to somehow autonomously (outside of someone pushing a button) receive knowledge that a certain volume is approaching set threshold limits --- which is probably the most difficult part.

Looking forward to your plan/work!  Please reach out for discussion on this.

sinhaa

@

Has anyone done such work (especially the part where OCUM triggers a script that calls a WFA workflow via REST) --- or would like to do it?!

===

I was talking to a colleague regarding this possibility and had planned to do something like this next week. I'm glad to know someone else also thinks it could be useful. I don't think OCUM can trigger a script, this trigger will also have to be done by WFA.

Will send you my plan via email. For everyone else, I will post it here once its done.

Thanks.

sinhaa

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.
Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public