Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

how to mount datastores for a new host

GINGER8990

We are adding a new host to the existing  vmware cluster. It is easy to add it  but how to mount all datastores to the new host.

It is Net App FAS 2040.

I can see all 10 datastores in NetApp System manager but need some advise how to mount all datastores to the new host.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

fabrice_berrier

Hi,

Open OnCommandSystem Manager go to storage-->exports

Select your exports edit the security tab add the ip address of your vmkernel nfs whit root access and read/write and save.

Open your viclient and connect to your vcenter select cluster and select your host go to configuration tab select storage-->add storage

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

fabrice_berrier

Hi,

You are in Fiber Channel/ISCSI (SAN) or NFS (NAS) ?

GINGER8990

It is NFS(NAS).

I just want to know how to mount all datastores to this new host which joined the existing cluster in vSphere.

fabrice_berrier

Hi,

Open OnCommandSystem Manager go to storage-->exports

Select your exports edit the security tab add the ip address of your vmkernel nfs whit root access and read/write and save.

Open your viclient and connect to your vcenter select cluster and select your host go to configuration tab select storage-->add storage

sgh

Thank you for sharing info.

also In CLI mode, how to do it? 

Appriciate your response.

Thanks

asulliva

Assuming you mean for vSphere, depending on your version of ESXi, use "esxcli" or "vicfg-nas".  See here for vSphere 5.1, here for vSphere 5.5, or here for vSphere 6.0.

You can also use PowerShell.

Andrew

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

GINGER8990

1) I need some step by step instructions ot mount the new host to all existing data-stores

2) Why I do see some disks  aggregated and some disks are not aggregated?

3) Can I add a spare disk (Showing "spare") to the aggregated ones? What is the limitation of aggregation?

cannot find some good documents in NetApp.

GINGER8990

r:

You are great!! But I will ask another dumb question:

We have two esxi hosts in the cluster but I don't see they are full mounted to all datastores.

Other hosts are mounted to 7 NFS (datastores) but only these two are not.

I don't know they do this intentionally or neglectfully...

fabrice_berrier

All the host they are in the same cluster need to see all the datastore.

I recommend you to install virtual storage console (VSC) that will allow you to easily mount your NFS datastore you find the software in the download section of the your support account.

GINGER8990

What is the disadvantage if one host cannot see all datastore? Is that the reason we can vmotion live VMs?

fabrice_berrier

In case of Vmware HA the host can  restart the virtual machine only from the datastore can be see.

Public