We've had 2 FAS2040 filers in the company allmost a year now. Autosupport was configured when the filers were installed and we never gave it a second tought.
Recently we changed to a new mailserver and I was changing the IP in the filers. When I request a test message to be send it says it does so, but the mail never arrives at it's destination(s).
When I open the CLI and look at the history for the latest message it also says it's send succesfully but nothing shows up, anywhere. So I took a look at the my.autosupport to see if anything was received there but turns out the filers have never been able to get a message through.
We're using Exchange 2010. I've setup a receive connector for the subnet the netapp filers are in. Other (non ms) servers and programs are able to send mails through this connector.
The NetApp can ping to the mailserver and the mailserver can ping to the NetApp (using IP and/or DNS). Anybody can see anything wrong with this and why messages are being marked as succesfull and not received.